2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Where is / how to replace the brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:53 PM
IRO
IRO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where is / how to replace the brake light switch

I've had this problem for over a month now and need to fix it. I actually have a 2000 S10, but figured the problem would be similar in a Blazer. Ok, so my brake lights usually stay on all the time. The way I get them to go off is to keep tapping on the brake pedal till they go off (or until my hazard lights start flashing, cause when the brake lights are stuck on, the hazard lights don't flash). Sometimes they don't turn off at all, so I disconnect the ground on my battery in this case. I've tried to research my problem on the net (and this lead me here) and it seems that I need to possibly replace my brake light switch, but I don't exactly know how to do that (or where it is, I think under the dash by the brake pedal?). So if anyone has any solutions to a fix, pleeeaaase let me know. Thanks.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:22 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Where is / how to replace the brake light switch

It's attatched to the brake pedal above the knee bolster (or hush panel). Locate the switch on the pedal, remove the outer clip, slide the switch out from the pedal ( with the rod). Install the new switch and clip it on.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:27 PM
IRO

Ok, I finally replaced the brake light switch (which was about $8), but my tail lights still stay on. Any ideas? I'm gonna try one more thing: replace both tail light bulbs. If that doesn't work, I'll take it to a shop or something and let someone else figure it out...

Old 12-14-2007, 11:32 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

So now your tail lights stay on?
Originally you said the brake lights stay on.
Do the tail lights and headlights stay on or just the tail lights?

Old 12-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it is the brake lights, is the high mount stop lamp illuminated as well or just the lower turn/tail/brake lights?

Old 12-15-2007, 04:45 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you adjust the brake light switch properly?

Old 12-17-2007, 01:32 PM
IRO

Yea, it's the brake lights that stay on. And no, the high mount brake light on the cab doesn't stay on. So I'm thinking it really might be the bulbs since this all started after I changed one of the bulbs. I'll try that and let yall know. Thanks again!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Swiss is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey.. I removed the hush panel and everything like that, squeezed up under there and found the brake switch. I couldn't get that aluminum clip/shield off of it,i sat there prying with a flat head and trying anything, only thing ican get it to do is spin around in circle which obviously doesn't do me any good. Any tip for how i can get this damn brake switch out.