2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Vibrations always and Window rattle/squeak

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:07 PM
bkw
Beginning Member
bkw is on a distinguished road
Default Vibrations always and Window rattle/squeak

Dear Diagnosticians,

[2001 Chevy Blazer LT, 4.3L V6]

1) When my front windows are open (at all), they vibrate/rattle and squeak as I drive. Is there an easy solution, or are there some causes I might investigate?

2) At all speeds -- including idle -- I am experiencing a vibration. I feel it most in the steering wheel, but the rest of the car is probably vibrating too (hence the windows?).

The kicker: I just got a tune-up (plugs, wires, rotor, cap), brand new tires, a front end alignment, and replaced the front sway bar links on both sides. I was really hoping for a smooooth ride.

Thoughts?

Old 05-15-2010, 01:11 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I haven't tore into the doors on my Blazer, but on the older GMs there were adjustable rubber bumps that held the windows from moving. Also channel adjustments.
Hopefully someone will post that has tore into the windows on a Blazer to give maybe a better explanation.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:03 PM
bkw
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
I haven't tore into the doors on my Blazer, but on the older GMs there were adjustable rubber bumps that held the windows from moving. Also channel adjustments.
Hopefully someone will post that has tore into the windows on a Blazer to give maybe a better explanation.
Thanks. Bumping in case anyone has done this and has some advice.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Jethroiroc is on a distinguished road

If it is vibrating that much at idle so that you feel it through the steering wheel, makes me want to look at the engine mounts.

How many miles on it?

These trucks have "sloppy" interiors anyway - any extra vibration may be simply magnifying a problem that wouldn't be noticeable in normal operation.

What speed (RPM) does it idle at? Is it missing any?

Assuming the engine ran rough before the tuneup as well?

Old 05-16-2010, 10:37 PM
bkw
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Jethroiroc
If it is vibrating that much at idle so that you feel it through the steering wheel, makes me want to look at the engine mounts.

How many miles on it?

These trucks have "sloppy" interiors anyway - any extra vibration may be simply magnifying a problem that wouldn't be noticeable in normal operation.

What speed (RPM) does it idle at? Is it missing any?

Assuming the engine ran rough before the tuneup as well?
Idling around 900 RPM. There were vibrations before the tuneup, but I assumed they were tire-related. Doesn't seem to be missing at all. 108k miles on the truck.

edit: And the vibration isn't insane when idling, but it's definitely noticeable through the steering wheel. Gets gradually worse as speed increases, gets much worse about 75-80mph. Way better now than it was a few days ago, but I was hoping it would run like new.