2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

ORIGINAL: Dory

<--gets the popcorn....[8D]
Oh, this has been a good one to stay out of and watch for a few months now.

I personally have never had vehicles that use Dex-cool, so I have never had any experiences either way with it. I do see benefits to using it, but you have to be someone that knows how to and wants to look after your vehicle, I think. I think the general population may not understand how to do their own maintenance and are just too ignorant to realize you can't just leave the stuff sitting in your vehicle for 10 years without ever looking at it. Dex-cool seems to need careful consideration when it's in your vehicle, and may not be for the majority of people. But that's all I'm saying because I really can only speculate since I have never used it myself, like I said.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:20 PM
DaveLance is an unknown quantity at this point

Swartlkk, those pages that you posted are right out of the manual. I own a '96.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thanks! Just wanted to be sure that GM didn't go changin' anything. You never know.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:10 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out some more on DEXCOOL from a radiator shop.

http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool_pics.htm

Old 04-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: DINO55

Check out some more on DEXCOOL from a radiator shop.

http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool_pics.htm
Those pictures are from plain old neglect. The owner should have atleast looked under the hood once in awhile rather than just let things go to that extent. It's not like that kind of failure happens over night folks. Won't even happen over the course of a month. But again, I'll add that dexcool was not the primary cause of the issue displayed in those pictures. A bad radiator cap or blown gasket gone unrepaired could easily lead to that kind of problem. Did dexcool help? Probably not, but a well maintained vehicle should have never been allowed to progress to that state. Some of the first signs of problems show up in the overflow tank.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Resolute is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow.
I had no idea this was so controversial.
I just flushed my rad on my new 99 Blazer. I didn't even know it was dex-cool until I drained it, as the overflow tank was dry. This is the first vehicle I've ever had with the Dex-Cool stuff, and the radiator looked great. no corrosion or anything inside or on the cap. The thermostat was clean, and the radiator hoses were clean. I replaced everything anyway and kept the hoses in the back of the truck as spares just in case, but no issues whatsoever. I topped off the overflow tank and have been periodically checking on it, but I don't anticipate any problems from the look of the old coolant. The engine has 84,000 miles on it.
Will

Old 04-26-2006, 02:00 AM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a little story to share. It has to do with owner responsibility.

The dealership I worked at had a retired businessman (who also lived near me) buy a brand new shiny vehicle, he was like a new father all proud and happy. This individual had a company vehicle, for the entire time he worked for the company. The company told him when to bring in his vehicle in for its fleet maintenance. I should mention he has no mechanical knowledge or ability what so ever, having sat on his butt until retirement. Unfortunately for him he followed the maintenance schedule like it was the bible. The amount of time and number of repairs (yep this includes dexcool) was astronomical.

This was what I attempted to convey. Was it his fault that he was mechanically "ignorant", and followed the owners manual or was it the dealerships fault for not educating the customer or a combination of both? Where should the line be drawn? For all he knew he was doing everything correct by "going by the book". I think that telling this guy that it was his gross negligance that caused all his problems is a bit harsh.

I believe that I did say that there was no laboratory evidence that states dexcool causes failures. I simply made comments as to the "warranty claim" and the complaints that have been recorded. I personally have never had a "failure" but have had to clean up the aftermath.

Hey! By the way, where is my popcorn?

Old 04-26-2006, 02:29 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Is Dexcool just as yummy and sweet as Prestone?

Old 04-26-2006, 02:46 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have a little story to share, This information was taken off the ZEREX WEB SITE. Just punch in G-05 and look under the FAQ. Take special note to the words in the last line, Armed with this information, I would never put one drop of DEATH COOL in anything I own. Oh, and neither will Ford and Chrysler. Maby they experienced solder corrosion issues in heater cores from plain old neglect?

Can you use an extended life coolant in a Ford and Chrysler vehicle?
Both the Ford and Chrysler owners’ manuals do not recommend using unapproved extended life products such as DEX-COOL or equivalents in their vehicles and state that improper maintenance may invalidate the warranty of the cooling system. In addition, many vehicles are not designed for DEX-COOL or equivalent organic acid, extended life coolants. For example DaimlerChrysler is reported to have experienced solder corrosion issues in heater cores with some DEX-COOL type fluids.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Administrator

People who have had issues will always be dead set against it. People who have not will be either neutral or for it. I don't love the stuff or swear by it, but to allow a discussion such as this to be railroaded because a few people hate the stuff and everyone else is neutral wouldn't be right. Hence my place in this discussion as it seems I'm the only one on this side of the fence with many atop the fence watching.

The "warranty" you speak of says nothing of the maintenance. Should the new Mobil Extended Performance motor oil be put into any engine and expect it to be able to go for 25,000 miles without popping the hood? Or is engine oil one of those things that should be able to be checked by even the most mechanically *ignorant* of automobile owners/operators (using your own words)? If you can check your oil, you can check your overflow tank for the proper level as well. Heck, you don't even have to get your hands dirty to check the bottle.

I will say this. If a vehicle was being *serviced* by a dealership, then that *dealership* should be held accountable (not GM) for the problems experienced. But if that vehicle was just brought in for *recommended* service, why would someone being paid book time for a job check other things he's not getting paid for. A good dealership would, but good dealerships are hard to find anymore.

I would say that pretty much all Dexcool problems can be caught prior to costly damage if routine checks are maintained.

Quick Reply: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL