2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

Old 04-26-2006, 11:04 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

I have been watching.
Swart has been doing a fine job and seems to need some support.

I have owned numerous vehicles with and without Dex-Cool. I have never had a problem with it. In fact my '00 with 114,000 miles is 6 years old and I have never flushed my radiator. It still has the original Dex-Cool in it. In fact I haven't serviced anything in the cooling system as of yet. Except topping off the overflow tank as needed during oil changes. I check and top off all my fluids during oil changes.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... This thread has gotten slow...

Old 04-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

I gave my blazer a good cleaning under the hood yesterday and I didnt know that it has dexcool in it. As I said I've never had issues with it... but when I get a radiator servicing, I dont know if I should put the same thing back in with all the issues you guys have raised....

Old 04-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are worried, go with Prestone's All Makes / All Models Antifreeze.

Also, when servicing a cooling system, I would recommend a new thermostat and a new radiator cap. For the price of them, it is cheap insurance.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:22 PM
kaindragoon36 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yrs/150,000 miles ONLY if DexCool is used in the system! That does not negate the need for you to maintain your coolant system i.e. check levels, top it off, flush if necessary.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:20 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

5 yrs/150,000 miles ONLY if DexCool is used in the system! That does not negate the need for you to maintain your coolant system i.e. check levels, top it off, flush if necessary.
Also, when servicing a cooling system, I would recommend a new thermostat and a new radiator cap. For the price of them, it is cheap insurance.

Old 04-30-2006, 06:15 PM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the post is slowing down because it is like beating a dead horse LOL

Old 05-04-2006, 03:25 PM
mandi is an unknown quantity at this point

My personal feelings on the DEXCOOL issue is its a hit or miss. Ive had my 98 blazer from 2001 to now. I had no problems out of the motor/coolent regarding DEXCOOL. However in 2004 the motor blew and I purchased a used motor from another vehicle and ive had sooooo many problems with this GUNK. So how come i never had problems out of it before the newused motor?? Weve flushed the system soooo many times and have quit using DEXCOOL but my radiator looks EXACTLY like the ones in the pic now.

I HATE DEXCOOL!!!!!!!

Old 07-09-2006, 02:09 PM
chaos321 is an unknown quantity at this point

I read this thread a while ago and then had to come back to it after more overheating, leaking, corroding issues. You pro Death-Cool guys crack me up. Are you all GM techs? Because it seems to me that you are using the, "it's not our fault" excuse right out of the Mr. Goodwrench hand book. The warranty say's it's good for 5/150,000 right? Well even a non GM certified mechanic can tell you that if you own the vehicle for 2-3 years and you know it had orange/reddish coolant in it, that when you look at the overflow bottle to check the level, and it is orange/reddish color through the bottle, then all is well. Right? Well, even when the Dex-Cool breaks down and turns to mud, it still looks kind of orange/reddish. So why would the perfect customer that is doing his proper level checks be responsible for 2-3 year old coolant breaking down before it's time. You guys crack me up, "it's not our fault". No the fault lies with GM. Ford and Chrysler figured it out in the R+D phase, and they won't put that crap in their vehicles. I'm done venting now, I'm going to go shoot my Blazer now, I've had enough.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

hahahah!!!! sorry just had to laugh right there... shoot the blazer? is that like shooting the wounded horse!??!?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL