2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wiper motor won't work...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Beginning Member
davevictorine is on a distinguished road
Default Wiper motor won't work...

I have a question regarding wiper motor issues as well, not sure where to ask, so thought i would post here.

I have a 98 blazer, and have had wiper problems for a while, I replaced the wiper motor last year, and it worked great up until recently it just completely stopped working. I tried replacing the pulse board... and it still didn't work. I then tried an entire new wiper motor, and it didn't even turn on!

The only thing I'm left thinking is the multi-switch? I checked the fuse as well, and all appears normal.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Barring a wiring problem, the multifunction switch is the next culprit. Fuses all check out good with a multimeter?

*Moved to a new thread in the 2nd Gen Tech Area* - Given that the original thread you posted this in was in the 1st gen section where the controls are quite a bit different.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for your help!

I will check the fuses with a multi-meter tonight, and get back to you. I physically checked the fuses, and they appeared fine. So there can be an issue with a fuse even if you cannot see evidence of it on the fuse?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Beginning Member

Update: ordered multi-function turn signal switch off rockauto, re-checked everything, this has got to be it. found great diagrams on this site for replacing this.
Thanks for posting that.

Giving it a go this weekend

Old 06-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Beginning Member

Update:

Double checked all fuses and harnesses with multi-meter to confirm no signal was coming through those points before replacing the turn signal switch.

Replaced the switch and it worked! Finally I have wipers again!

Steering wheel removal was not nessecary for replacing the switch.
had to pop-out paneling on driver side dash around guages just to be able
to reach one of the harnesses, that was the most difficult part.

One tortex screw on the bottom part of the casing around steering wheel, comes off first,
then 1 tortex screw underneath holding the top part down.

2 screws holding the switch in place as shown on swartlkk's DIY post, one on top,
and another facing the driver in-between steering wheel and switch box. to get that one, had to use tortex tip with a wrench to loosen.

****don't forget where your harnesses go****

switch ran about 130

Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Beginning Member

Now I am completely baffled....

Wipers have stopped working consistently, and only work at random. It's only been 2 days since I replaced the switch!

any ideas?

Old 06-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would dig into the wiring then. Check continuity from the wiper motor to the connector on the multifunction switch.

Attached Thumbnails Wiper motor won't work...-98_frtwpr_sch.gif  
Old 06-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Beginning Member

This may be un-related, but wanted to see what you thought....

Negative battery terminal was loose to the point not starting (that's how i noticed it) and since i tightened it back up, the wipers have worked fine... how the heck would that be related in any way?

Because the wipers were having issues even when the blazer was turned on, but since tightening the terminal there hasn't been an issue, wipers have worked everytime i check 'em.

Thanks for the wiring diagram, i will def use it if the problem re-surfaces!

Old 08-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Beginning Member
dendail is on a distinguished road

i have been trying to find the fuse for the rear wiper motor on a 95 s 10 blazer i haven't found it's loc yet i get no click at the motor so i figure it is either fuse or switch but haven't found the fuse yet acording to the book i have the only fuse blk is on the lt side dash board but it dosen't lists a fuse for the rear wiper motor and chevy dealers don't have that old a blazer in thier computors any more

Old 08-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Beginning Member
dendail is on a distinguished road

think i have the fuses checked now 11 and 21 control it the orange wire on the motor does not go thru the switch the yellow wire is hot from the batt need to do more testing but i think the grey wire is the out let wire from the switch but i need to do more testing

Quick Reply: Wiper motor won't work...