2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Will not turn over and no clicking.tried to jump off nothing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:25 AM
krazykracker is on a distinguished road
Default Will not turn over and no clicking.tried to jump off nothing

I had just bought a 98 4d 2wd..At first I left some interor light on and ran the battery down.I jumped it off and went to autozone.They tested the alt and battery.They said both were fine.Last night I pulled up infront of the house.Pressed the dome light over ride switch off to let the inside lights come on..Put a steering wheel cover on.Waited 5 min for gf to come out.When I turned the switch nothing.No clicking nothing just would not turn over.Tried jumping it off still would not turn over no noise nothing.This morning I checked the fuses on the driver side dash.All were good.I looked at the relay fuse box on the driver side under the hood.Only one that was blown was the trl trn fuse.????? I replaced the starter fuse still same problem.Also if I ever leave the interoir light on or anything on for a min or two.Its a little slow to start.So thats why I leave the dome over ride switch on.Also when I first bought it.The ses light came on.Went to autozone they said the codes ment it was running lean.Prob a vacum hose.So I looked and the pcv hose to the air filter box was unplugged.I plugged it in to the aif filter box.The light went off.Its been runing great but all of a sudden nothing?? Is it the starter solenoid or wire/fuse some where....... I had no idea what that hose was until I looked it up on here a week ago lol im a auditor.Only know the bear basics help

Old 02-02-2013, 03:24 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Check the wires at the starter, see if they are not lose or broken.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:47 PM
krazykracker is on a distinguished road
Default Here is a pic a think I found the problem

Will not turn over and no clicking.tried to jump off nothing-starter-pic.jpg Here is a pic of the solenoid and starter.When I took the tire off.I cheecked the wires.The wire from the solenoid to the starter . Cracked in half when I first pulled on it.After that happened I smashed the wire back to the post.Then hooked the battery up.When I turned the key it clicked a few times.So I think that the problem.The bottom large wire from the battery to the solenoid seems fine.When I tried to remove the ground wire to the solenoid with a socket the post broke off ( the small wire on the side of the solenoid faceing the tire).So is their and way of fixing the broken ground/neg solenoid post??Can I buy the solenoid only??Or do the two come together??I know I can call the parts store to ask.Just wanted to ask here so if anyone else has this problem they would know.I do remember hitting a large pothole before I parked and had the problem.Since its seems the only problem was a wire..I know the smart/right thing to do is replace it all.I will do just wanted to know the options not only for me but others who read this.