2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wiper Issues - I've Already Re-soldered the Pulse Board

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Dunkelschatten is on a distinguished road
Default Wiper Issues - I've Already Re-soldered the Pulse Board

Hello, have been lurking and researching the boards the last month or so after picking up '97 Jimmy SLT and have come across so many great contributions trying to solve a couple problems that came with this purchase - so thanks to the passionate members who contribute much for all to find on the internet and read!

My question is - How much faster is the high wiper speed compared to the low setting? The difference on this rig is VERY minor. My Dad couldn't even tell there was a difference unless I told him I was changing the switch. I wasn't always sure if it had changed speed when I was the one changing the settings! There is a difference.

If this is supposed to be the case then I just need to keep testing the the intermittent conditions I'm experiencing but if the very similar low and high speeds are a solid indicator of a bad wiper motor (or something else) then I can move on to ordering a replacement and hope the intermittent issue goes with the replaced parts. The pulse board looked in great condition compared to what I've seen in videos and pictures, but I did re-solder all of recommended points and anything else that didn't look shiny and smooth. The delay settings all work but I haven't timed each one to 100% verify time between cycles. Want to reinforce that there IS a difference in speeds from low to high, it's just not much.

I've never had a vehicle with a high wiper speed that moved so slowly and I've owned a few vehicles older than 1997! When I first saw how similar high speed was to the low setting I immediately thought how much fun it will be to drive in the heavy rainstorms we get here in Oregon.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-08-2019, 07:20 PM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Well, we see you already resoldered the wiper pulse board. That was my problem on my 98 Blazer. I didn't do any soldering, I bought a new pulse board and it fixed it. My issue was the wipers worked when they "felt like it"... I bought a new turn signal switch first though thinking that was the problem, which it wasn't, and that DID fix my cruise control issue, it simply didn't work. Maybe you need a new turn signal switch? I am sure more knowledgeable people will jump in soon that knows more than me but I am just telling you my little story... Good luck and I have no doubt it will get resolved sooner rather than later.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by go chevy
Well, we see you already resoldered the wiper pulse board. That was my problem on my 98 Blazer. I didn't do any soldering, I bought a new pulse board and it fixed it. My issue was the wipers worked when they "felt like it"... I bought a new turn signal switch first though thinking that was the problem, which it wasn't, and that DID fix my cruise control issue, it simply didn't work. Maybe you need a new turn signal switch? I am sure more knowledgeable people will jump in soon that knows more than me but I am just telling you my little story... Good luck and I have no doubt it will get resolved sooner rather than later.
Thanks! Very may well be, anything I have tried hasn't pointed to the switch but I don't know enough to proclaim it isn't the problem either!

In whatever way of explaining you can do, what's the speed difference between low and high on your wipers?

Old 01-08-2019, 10:28 PM

BIG difference... Maybe you actually need a new wiper motor??? I hate too try and have you spend money you might not have too though??? Having any trouble with the cruise control by chance? If so it might just be the turn signal switch after all? Let's see what others might say...

Old 01-08-2019, 10:41 PM

Sorry, I wasn't really clear on the different speed... Low is just what any vehicle might do, but on high the wipers move back and forth like crazy! Delay options I can't quite be too specific as far as time per setting, time between each setting, sorry...

Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by go chevy
Sorry, I wasn't really clear on the different speed... Low is just what any vehicle might do, but on high the wipers move back and forth like crazy! Delay options I can't quite be too specific as far as time per setting, time between each setting, sorry...
That's very helpful go chevy, thank you! I will check out the cruise control.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:34 PM

Cruise Control works.

New discovery, front washer pump will not work when wipers won’t work. Does work if wipers are working. Never does pump work when wipers won’t work. Found this topic and am thinking the pulse board may in fact still be the issue if I am understanding the post by swartlkk.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...working-50837/

Am I wrong on that interpretation?

Old 01-09-2019, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dunkelschatten
Cruise Control works.

New discovery, front washer pump will not work when wipers won’t work. Does work if wipers are working. Never does pump work when wipers won’t work. Found this topic and am thinking the pulse board may in fact still be the issue if I am understanding the post by swartlkk.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...working-50837/

Am I wrong on that interpretation?
Since your cruise control works I seriously doubt you need a new turn signal switch... I am willing too bet you need a new wiper pulse board then. A bunch of people got by with doing what you did by resoldering the old board though. I simply just bought a new pulse board for $35 bucks if I remember correctly at Auto Zone...

Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 AM

Update: New pulse board did the trick, picked a new CardOne board up for $16. Inspected the old board and my re-soldering looked good but the contacts on the two "fingers" that stick up were 1/4 of the thickness of the new board so maybe that was it. This one solved, on to the next problem.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dunkelschatten
Update: New pulse board did the trick, picked a new CardOne board up for $16. Inspected the old board and my re-soldering looked good but the contacts on the two "fingers" that stick up were 1/4 of the thickness of the new board so maybe that was it. This one solved, on to the next problem.
Glad too hear the wipers are fixed