2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wiring mystery

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 04:54 PM
surreybrad will become famous soon enough

Would this work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hantek-6022...5.c10#viTabs_0

It's available on ebay for about $70 or do i need to go up in quality? I also understand when you change a crank sensor it needs to be reset or set. What's the do it yourself on that? i have no problem with buying tools as me and my roommate caregiver have a shop here and are enjoy fixing up ZR2s and K5s. Years ago I had a shop but that was before computers. i have the skills, just not for the electronics in new computer aged cars.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:23 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

What you first have to understand is there is a difference between a scope and a bi-directional tool. You need a bi-directional to do things like CKP relearns. The scope is so you can read what is going on in circuits (see example of my CKP below). Some manufacturers have them all in one unit, like Snap-On or Autel.

I started with a S/O Vantage Pro (used) for my scope and Autoengunity installed on my computer for my bi-directional device. At that time that ran me around $800 for the Autoenginuity (had to pay more after the basic package to get the unlock for the GM enhanced package).

I am not personally familiar with Hantek. But I know a technician who swears by the Hantek he has. I do read a lot where guys have trouble setting them up, but that might not be a bad thing as it will help you get to know the basics...I can't say for sure never having worked with one. Some main things you want to have is AC/DC coupling, adjustable trigger and peak detect. But also what you realize is that is just the begining of things you will need. You'll have to get an attenuator so you don't fry your tool or laptop on the higher voltage readings like ignition components. And a low amp probe is a must to do a lot of diagnosis. It's a never ending saga for me But the nice thing is you can get one piece at a time as you need it.

That tool might be a good tool to get your feet wet. Hell it might be something you will have forever like I will have my Vantage Pro. Even though I have other tools now. I'd say read some reviews on it and see what you think. Specifically look for reviews from guys that use them for autos. Research, research, research.

Attached Thumbnails Wiring mystery-98_blazer_ckp_peakdetecton.jpg  

Last edited by rockp2; 05-21-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:37 PM

Yes I've continued to research for the last couple hours and pretty much get the difference between the tools and additional items. There are a few local used snap on and autotel complete kits that I'm going to pursue. In the meantime I'm going to send it to a shop my neighbor is vounching for. I appreciate all your feedback and advise because you've sent me down a real learning road for a vehicle I'm into wrenching and driving. Thanks and I'll let you know what it was.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:52 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Snap-On products I can definitely help you out with as I own a few of theirs and have researched the **** out of them. I also am somewhat well versed on Autel as I own one of theirs.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:27 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

I recently bought a used Snap On tool in like new condition which gave me a huge boost in capability for a fair price. The last update on the tool was recent enough to cover every vehicle that I take care of. The mandated requirement for data supplied at the ODBII port is the same basic data set for every vehicle. These specialized tools get you access to the mnfg specific codes as well as bidirectional control and/or a scope if you spend enough. I already had a seperate bench scope so I got some inductive high voltage probes for ignition work.

There are some Chinese made scan tools like theAutel mentioned above by Rock that can be even more cost effective if you know what to look for.

If you really want to get good at this, these are the tools you need. Its not cheap but thats what it takes. All of this unfortunately is out of reach of most shade tree mechanics buy if you are patient and search you can get good deals on used equipment. I research what I want, research ebay completed transactions to see what a real great deal looks like and then load in a saved search with email notification. It can take a couple of months to find certain items and you may have to lose some bids first but the good news is that if you buy right you can get all your money back if you decide to sell the tool. I have waited for over a year on some obscure items before I found the perfect item at a great price.

Good luck, let us know what they find.

George

Old 05-22-2018, 01:30 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

I do a lot of work in the field with electronics, and I have chosen a stand-alone option. Dragging a laptop with all the cables and setting these things up always annoyed me. Nowadays, the price for a TFT matrix is fairly cheap, so the price difference in between USB dongles and stand alone isn't big anymore.

The DSO have one great advantage on analog oscilloscopes - they allow You to record the trace and analyze what You have recorded. That is a great option if You'd like i.e. to reverse engineer device communication and so on. In these cases, the memory capacity becomes a factor. For example, that Hantek record up to 48 mega samples per second. Divide the amount of dongle memory (not specified) by that value and You'll get how many seconds You may store. If You're using two of the input channels - divide over again by two. The cheap ones are cheap not without a reason - usually they are slower with a less amount of memory. I don't say they're necessarily bad - they may - or may not fit Your expectations, depending what You're looking for. I am working on Rigol - nice factor of parameters, quality and features to the price. Not to mention an easy upgrade options

Old 05-25-2018, 12:55 PM

Well I took it to a local shop and it turned out to be the ignition control module. $285 for the part and $60 to install it. Of course they tried to say it was still misfiring and I needed the plugs replaced for another $150 but I just went and picked it up and it ran as good as it did before the module died. Typical Canadian repair shop behavior, try and scam extra unnecessary repair work even after charging double for the part. Anyway, I thank everyone who gave me the advice and input. I'm ordering a diagnostic unit as it will pay for itself. Me and my roommate split or tool cost and shop rental and figure we can offer the scoping and relearning service to other local s10 and Blazer/Jimmy guys at a fair price as well. Our next project is a V8 ZR2 so I'm sure I'll be looking for input and offering experience afterwards here on Blazer forum. Thanks again guys.