2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wondering what might cause thise code...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:24 PM
chevblazer02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wondering what might cause thise code...

Lets see, as in another post I mentioned how my service engine soon light was on and then all of a sudden a few minutes after it popped on...i lost my heat...and the trucks temp guage was reading really low.... was worried since it was winter...anyways figured i should change the thermostat since i had one laying around....did that heat works, temp back to normal....well the service engine soon light shut off, so i figured things were ok....yesterday I go to back into my driveway, i turn around from looking back and the service engine soon light made an appearance again....I brought it to Autozone to get the codes scanned and one was Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature.....What else could be causing this??????? I also had a code for Evap. Emissions Control System Malfunction, and went to go look and my gas cap wasn;t on at all....thats my stupidity one day. So this coolant problem, what might be causing it....thanks in advance Jon

Old 12-21-2006, 09:52 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Wondering what might cause thise code...

It's common for the wires to the Temp Sensor to go bad. That is why most new Temp Sensors come with replacement wires.
Going threw your message history your vehical is:
2002 Blazer LS

with this being 06, it's about the time frame that things start going haywire due to MFG's build settings. Due to the avg. person trades off or changes vehicals about every 3 to 5 yrs. So the MFG's are building them to only last that long before MAJOR FAILURE.
If you choise to keep this Truck, start getting ready to pay what you paid for it in repairs. Start off by replacing the Coolent Temp Sensor and the connection wires to it. But expect more issues to follow soon.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:04 PM
swdockter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hawk, I just replaced my temp sensor (came from GM) and it didn't have replacement wires. First I've heard of that. My temp gauge (93 blazer) was all over the place and then one day it pooped out. Went to Advanced and the connector was all wrong. Had to go to GM to get the right one....again, no wires came with it though.

I also hope you are wrong about the 3-5 year comment.

Edit: By the way, my truck was running poorly when the temp sensor was flipping out. Ran better (relatively speaking) once it was replaced. Ended up replacing the full suit of sensors (MAP& TPS) before the thing started running good - long story.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:40 PM

Well as of now the light has shut off....so we'll see what happens....and yeah I know all about the issues with blazers...my dad has a 97 and I've had 2 91's and a 93 before....so its been a blast....anyways i'll keep an eye on what you mentioned....

Old 12-22-2006, 09:17 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry that your's did not have the wires. But GM in my area normally stock those things for their mechanics to replace when they do the temp sensor (and a few other things like crank sensor and such). There are some wires that are prone to get over heated and fail. Depends on how hard its driven and how hot it stays. The further the wires are from direct heat (hard to do due to heat rises and some of the wires you can not re-route) depends on how long they last.
Its like a pair of shoes, the more you ware them the sooner they go.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:01 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I was just reading your post and you said that you had a problem a while ago and replaced your thermostat. Did you check for codes at that time and have the code cleared when you replaced the thermostat.
I'm just wondering if when you had the codes read recently, if the thermostat code was a history code?

Old 12-23-2006, 03:00 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking the same thing.
The puter will store the codes for 50 starts in most cases.

Double check your coolant level. Sounds like it is low or the improper mix.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:39 PM

I never had the code scanned before when i had the previous problem....so I'm gonna assume for now that it was a code in history since , i fixed the other problem with my gas cap and the light shut off.....we'll see...