2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Won't Start, Battery? Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 08:01 PM
blazer1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Won't Start, Battery? Alternator?

I have a 1998 Blazer and when i went to start it yesterday it wouldn't even attempt to engage. A couple of the tachs twitched around/ upsidedown/ off their measurments before stopping completely. I disconnected the battery and the ground and cleaned all terminals and reconnected them but no progress. Does anybody have any Ideas? Please help

Old 07-09-2005, 02:33 AM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Won't Start, Battery? Alternator?

try jumping it, or charging the battery to see if its good. Or you can take the battery to autozone or somewhere like that to have them check to see it its good. It the batterys good they can charge it, put it back in and try then. if it starts take the hole truck to zone and have the check the output on the alternator.
chris

Old 07-09-2005, 06:09 PM
dieselfumes is an unknown quantity at this point

check the alternator with a meter, make sure its putting out atleast 13, if not check to see if it has a good connection and the belt is tight.

Old 07-10-2005, 02:46 PM
blazer1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yesterday I went and bought a battery charger/starter and it showed the battery as having a full charge. What kind of meter should I get to test the alternator? And where do I place it to test it?
Sorry just a newbie here.

Old 07-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if you can not get it started, I would check all fuses first and foremost. Check anything that has to do with the starter circuit. The alternator would only be able to be checked after you have started the engine (unless you know a lot about alternators).

Old 07-25-2005, 02:02 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get it fixed?

AC Delco batteries positive post likes to corrode in the battery. I have seen them literally fall out of the battery, post and all. Even while still screwed tightly to the battery cable stud.

Old 07-25-2005, 05:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

AC Delco batteries positive post likes to corrode in the battery. I have seen them literally fall out of the battery, post and all. Even while still screwed tightly to the battery cable stud.
I can attest to that fact. Just had to replace the battery in my Bravada because it would intermittently not start. I went to remove the battery and the positive post completely came free. Tell tale signs on mine showed as acid leakage from around the positive post.