2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Won't Start Immediately

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Prozon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Won't Start Immediately

My blazer has an issue starting when you first start it in the day.

'98 Blazer, 4x4, 4.3 w/ Auto

Basically you have to turn the key on and wait a second. After 2-5 seconds the fuel gauge will kick up and you can start it just fine. If you immediately jump in and turn the key to start it can crank forever without firing up. After being warmed up it starts immediately no problem. It's usually just when you first fire it up after it's been sitting overnight. (The fuel gauge thing leads me to believe it's a electrical issue.)

Fuel pump isn't that old. Battery is brand new.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Could very well be electrical from the way you describe it. Sounds like symptoms of a faulty ignition switch. This link might help: https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-switch-33465/

Old 01-26-2014, 08:13 PM
vegie_2 is on a distinguished road

My old spider fuel injector was my problem not starting in the morning. it was leaking not holding pressure, I put a new pressure regulator did not fix it then new fuel pump and did not fix it. New delphi spider all is well better than ever it runs better than ever with the MFI spider amazon had best price 235.00

Old 01-27-2014, 02:27 PM

I don't think it would be the spider. My buddy had a leaky one and his problem was different. You would get a hint of a fire here or there.

With this, it's like the fuel pump is not activated at all. Looking into that link Captain Hook posted I think that's a viable option. However, I find it odd
That it ALWAYS starts if you give it a second.

Hmm. Thinking about it even more it sounds like a good place to start.

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2014, 04:14 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

There are several contacts in the switch that feed different circuits at different places when the switch is turned. With use, the contacts get burned in the switch and don't make a good connection. Giving it a second try, it might make contact and work fine. It's a known problem and worth looking into. 1997 ignition switch was unique to that year and it was a VERY common problem. 1998 was redesigned specifically because of the issues on 1997, but it still has problems, just not as common as 1997.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-27-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Sounds just like when my fuel pump was going. If you jumped in and tried to start it, no way would it start, but if you turned the key on and waited for the pump to click off, it would fire right up, and be fine for the rest of the day. Eventually it was so bad that I would have to cycle the ignition a couple times before it would fire.

Another issue I had was when the ignition switch was crapping out, you would turn the key on, but none of the cluster warning lights would come on. It would crank forever but no start. I found that if I kept cycling the ignition the lights would all come on and it would fire up right away.

Last edited by Diaita; 01-27-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-28-2014, 12:25 PM

I don't have to cycle it at all. Turn it to the "on" position and wait a second. Turn to start and it fires right up. Everything works fine as well. The only part of this that is an issue is the "delay." It could be ignition but who knows really. I'll look into it when I get it back. (I loaned it to my sister.)

Old 01-28-2014, 06:46 PM

I misunderstood your first post, sorry. After reading it again, along with your last post, it definitely sounds like an issue with fuel pressure. Here's a simple way to see if the pump is pressurizing instantly, or if there is a delay:

On your 1998, in the underhood fuse panel, there is a vacant terminal next to the fuel pump relay. The circuit goes directly to the fuel pump motor.
Name:  DSC_0154-Copy-1.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  12.8 KB

Connect the fuel pressure tester to the service port.
Connect one end of a 10 amp fused jumper wire to battery positive.
While watching the needle closely on the tester, touch the other end of the jumper wire to the pump prime terminal. The needle should move instantly each time you touch the terminal. Try it several times, the needle has to move each time. I have seen pumps that the motor starts instantly, but it doesn't build pressure for a second or two, and sometimes not at all. It should pressurize 60psi to 66psi each time.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Beginning Member
mwbrown4 is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me like a fuel issue. Possibly a weak pump. AcDelco or Delphi pumps are the way to go. Do the proper fuel system diagnosis to confirm your problem.