2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ZR2 Lower control Arm question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 01:13 AM
Beginning Member
Nilism is on a distinguished road
Default ZR2 Lower control Arm question

Hi guys,
I have a 2003 ZR2 Blazer and I am looking to rebuild the front end suspension but I am confused on something right now.

ACDELCO 45D3316 {#19195083} Professional; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info
Front Left Lower; 4WD; with High Rider Package (ZR2); Sway Bar Link Mounts Forward of Shock

ACDELCO 45D10049 Professional; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info
Front Left Lower; 4WD; without High Rider Package (ZR2); Sway Bar Link Mounts Outboard of Shock (Only 1 Remaining)

I definitely have the ZR2 which included a factory suspension lift. However, when I inspected the front suspension tonight the lower control arm definitely has the "Sway Bar Link Mounts Outboard of Shock". I am not the first owner but it only has 180,000 km on it... I think I bought around 154. Has the wrong lower control arm been installed on this vehicle? Is that even possible? What am I missing here? And which lower control arm should I be ordering?

Attached a couple pics, and the best rock auto shots I could get... really horrible detail on the bracket.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Thumbnails ZR2 Lower control Arm question-20180801_211324.jpg   ZR2 Lower control Arm question-20180801_211502_001.jpg   ZR2 Lower control Arm question-45d3316_alternate5__ra_p.jpg   ZR2 Lower control Arm question-45d10049_alternate5__ra_p.jpg  
Old 08-02-2018, 09:55 AM
Beginning Member
Dannyn01 is on a distinguished road

I did my upper and lowers this weekend. I also have the ZR2. I ordered the #45D3316 and they worked fine.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if my suspension was done before and the wrong lower control arm was used?

Old 08-02-2018, 12:26 PM
dlundblad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Nilism
Thanks for the reply. I wonder if my suspension was done before and the wrong lower control arm was used?
I would think you could visually tell, but measure the wheel width on the rear (which should be correct) vs. the front.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:02 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I would think you could visually tell, but measure the wheel width on the rear (which should be correct) vs. the front.
Ok, so I grabbed the laser measure and I went from inside rim to inside rim. Everything is stock, so nothing special going on.

The rear I got 4' 3 11/16"
The front I got 4' 5 5/16"

So that's just over 1.25" wider stance at the front. I dunno what that translates to.. but there you have it. Added a couple better pics.

Also, I have tire rub on the passenger side stabilizer bar, that seems a bit out of order for stock fitment.

Attached Thumbnails ZR2 Lower control Arm question-20180802_130931.jpg   ZR2 Lower control Arm question-20180802_130617.jpg  
Old 08-03-2018, 07:34 AM
Starting Member
man0steel is on a distinguished road

Best I can tell the only difference in the arms is placement of the sway bar bracket. I ran into the same issue, ordered AC Delco and got one moog and one Delco........both wrong. Spoke with the manufacturer and after a couple of back and forth conversations they agreed the description was wrong. Not only is the bracket in the wrong place but it is the incorrect bracket that will snap off if installed on the ZR2. Was also told that if I cut the brackets off of my arms and welded to new arms that wouldn't warranty if I had a problem or if I purchased the non ZR2 arm (which will actually fit, bracket in correct location but wrong type, they wouldn't warranty that either.

I have all the parts for front suspension rebuild (excluding lower arms, I will rebuild those myself) and have been waiting for cooler weather to do the rebuild. If someone finds the parts have been corrected I will re-purchase the complete lower arms and send back joints and bushings.

Check the thread I started on this subject a while back.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/steeri...zr2-lca-96402/

Old 08-03-2018, 10:24 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by man0steel
Best I can tell the only difference in the arms is placement of the sway bar bracket. I ran into the same issue, ordered AC Delco and got one moog and one Delco........both wrong. Spoke with the manufacturer and after a couple of back and forth conversations they agreed the description was wrong. Not only is the bracket in the wrong place but it is the incorrect bracket that will snap off if installed on the ZR2. Was also told that if I cut the brackets off of my arms and welded to new arms that wouldn't warranty if I had a problem or if I purchased the non ZR2 arm (which will actually fit, bracket in correct location but wrong type, they wouldn't warranty that either.

I have all the parts for front suspension rebuild (excluding lower arms, I will rebuild those myself) and have been waiting for cooler weather to do the rebuild. If someone finds the parts have been corrected I will re-purchase the complete lower arms and send back joints and bushings.

Check the thread I started on this subject a while back.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/steeri...zr2-lca-96402/

Thanks for the update. Isn't AC Delco the OEM manufacturer? This might explain why I think the wrong ones are installed now, somebody fell into the none OEM trap.

As reported above I believe the right part is: ACDELCO 45D3316/7 The description and the picture seem to both show the correct configuration.

My stupid question is, what is the effect of onboard mounting? A loss of ride height right?

Old 08-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Starting Member
man0steel is on a distinguished road

Same part numbers I ordered, both were wrong.Supposed to be AC Delco. Received one Moog and one Delco. Both are manufactured by Delphi. Don't understand what on board mounting means.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by man0steel
Same part numbers I ordered, both were wrong.Supposed to be AC Delco. Received one Moog and one Delco. Both are manufactured by Delphi. Don't understand what on board mounting means.
On-board just means directly adjacent to, or in-line with.

The ZR2 stablizer mount should be ahead of the shock mount point... by what looks like an inch or so. I won't be ordering the parts for a little while yet but I guess I'll find out. I'm going to swing by a dealership and see if they have any drawings they can produce for me.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:28 AM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Nilism;693697]On-board just means directly adjacent to, or in-line with.

I think you meant to use "inboard" : located nearer the longitudinal axis or center
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/inboard?s=ts

Quick Reply: ZR2 Lower control Arm question