2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Zr2 spare tire carrier fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 04:01 PM
Starting Member
man0steel is on a distinguished road

I went for weeks trying exactly what you are suggesting, after several fail attempts I went to the machine shop. Not saying your idea wont work for you.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:10 PM
Starting Member
nomoresubies is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by man0steel
I went for weeks trying exactly what you are suggesting, after several fail attempts I went to the machine shop. Not saying your idea wont work for you.
What was the "fail"?

Old 01-13-2019, 06:31 PM
Starting Member

Finding a material the correct ID size for the bolt and the right OD for the carrier.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:17 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I've often thought about finding some needle bearings to put in there somehow...

Old 01-14-2019, 08:43 AM
Starting Member

This bushing repair has worked really well after 2 years of daily driving and getting in and out of the back. The bushings are readily available, finding a machine shop to align bore the carrier may be the only stumbling block for some.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:38 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by man0steel
This bushing repair has worked really well after 2 years of daily driving and getting in and out of the back. The bushings are readily available, finding a machine shop to align bore the carrier may be the only stumbling block for some.
Any specs on the bushings or the supplier? How did you originally get the carrier hinge apart? Did you have to grind the pin?

Old 01-14-2019, 10:52 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nomoresubies
Any specs on the bushings or the supplier? How did you originally get the carrier hinge apart? Did you have to grind the pin?
As part of me wanting to see the condition of the stock bushings for the spare tire carrier I have yet to install, I removed the pin for the bottom hinge. There is a C-clip retainer that fits into a groove on the bottom of the pin but the I had to use a hammer and a drift to push it out from the bottom. Here is a picture of the final result:

Old 01-14-2019, 11:12 AM
Starting Member

OK! That is the answer to the million dollar question. Thanks Christine. You have been a big help with this and a few other conundrums I have had

Old 01-14-2019, 11:26 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nomoresubies
OK! That is the answer to the million dollar question. Thanks Christine. You have been a big help with this and a few other conundrums I have had
You are very welcome. Keeping my Blazer on the road has turned into a bit of a hobby for me and a way for me to "get my geek on" in a fun way; in this case with an automotive flavor.

Now I'm going to have to figure out how to get the pin back in. LOL I hoping a block of wood and a bigger hammer should do the trick.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:39 AM
Starting Member

No specs on the bushing.....been too long. Just measure the pin and the diameter of the carrier, The inside diameter for the pin will be an easy find (amazon even), just get the next bigger size than the carrier and length. I used bushings with a lip and a bronze washer to make up the difference. Drove the pins out with an air hammer after having a friend hold the carrier while I unbolted it.

Quick Reply: Zr2 spare tire carrier fix