2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Zr2 tailgate release button

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Starting Member
nomoresubies is on a distinguished road
Default Zr2 tailgate release button

I have a 2001 ZR2.

I have read a few threads about the rear hatch (tailgate) button repairs and replacement.
My rear hatch has a solid cover and no button; More like a plug. Have read somewhere that if you have a key fob to actuate it then there is not a button. Is this correct?

Mine pops from the key fob and the interior switch but does not pop enough for the glass to release. Must be out back with the fob to pull the glass manually after it unlocks. Thinking about adding a spring to the guide pin.

Also, I have seen keyed buttons and un-keyed buttons and wonder why there would be a release button in the back that is not keyed to prevent unwanted access. Must the ignition key be on for that to work or something?

So if I have a latch that works only from the inside or the fob, can I add a button activated latch in the back?

Any thoughts?

Old 12-07-2018, 05:43 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Blazen_red_4x4 had a great write up on this subject.
Best bet would be to take the back cover off (of the tailgate) and see if you have the plug-in needed (which is pictured in his write up).
That is where I would start, anyhow.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:22 AM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

Has your tailgate ever been replaced? Pop the cover off and see if there is a pigtail wiring connector just laying there. Could be the previous owner took the switch out for some reason and just put a plug in that hole. Sounds crazy you dont have that switch, especially if you have the dash mounted release button.

I recently replaced my tailgate on my 01 ZR2 Blazer with one from a 96 or 97 Jimmy. When I did this I had to swap my tailgate wiring harness onto the new tailgate so everything worked properly. Believe it or not there is a lot of wiring that's in there, especially if you have the tailgate release button and the wiper.

I have a key fob that has the tailgate release button on it. It works just like the door lock/unlock button, no need for the ignition to be on for it to work.

Not sure if I answered any of your questions or not.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Starting Member
nomoresubies is on a distinguished road

In spite of the fact that there is no latch button it seems that the window is just so heavy it won't release on its own. The latch works when I push it closed with my finger w/o the window being down. Have read that the window seal is supposed to push it open. The pistons hold open arms are new. The weather strip is new. Is there a window seating adjustment? I have temporarily put a spring back there that works for now...
Maybe next spring when it's a little warmer I'll tear into it...

"Never do today what one can put off until tomorrow".