2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

01 driveshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Beginning Member
96awd is on a distinguished road
Default 01 driveshaft question

Ok, so basicallly, my 01 2wd needs a new driveshaft. How do I know this? Because it twisted, lol.

I'm trying to figure out what years interchange from what vehicles. I figured Jimmy and Bravada. I know driveshaft differs from 2wd to 4wd. Mine is a 1pc.

Do s10 truck driveshafts work or are they strictly 2wd, 2dr ONLY blazer/jimmy/bravada driveshafts?

I attached a picture of what it looks like *not my exact driveshaft, just a picture of one that looks like it*

Attached Thumbnails 01 driveshaft question-%24-kgrhqvhje-fgvgi-bc7br0pgbid-q%7E%7E60_57.jpg  
Old 10-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

You will need a shaft from the same platform you have. I assume you have a 2wd so you will need a shaft from a 2dr 2wd. The best thing to do just to make sure is when you are serching measure your shaft from the center of the ujoint cap to center of u joint cap and just make sure that whatever you get is the same length. I would recommend replacing all the u joints before you install it as well just for good measure. I you don't already know the caps need to be heated and it will melt out the plastic locking ring inside the yoke then you can press the ujoint out. Some people say it's a PITA but I've done a bunch of them recently with nothing more than a little propane torch and haven't had a single struggle with mine. Jut have to be patient and let it get hot. Once it's out clean out any left behind plastic and install the new joint. The new ones will have a traditional locking ring that seats in the groove in the yoke.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Beginning Member
96awd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rexmburns
You will need a shaft from the same platform you have. I assume you have a 2wd so you will need a shaft from a 2dr 2wd. The best thing to do just to make sure is when you are serching measure your shaft from the center of the ujoint cap to center of u joint cap and just make sure that whatever you get is the same length. I would recommend replacing all the u joints before you install it as well just for good measure. I you don't already know the caps need to be heated and it will melt out the plastic locking ring inside the yoke then you can press the ujoint out. Some people say it's a PITA but I've done a bunch of them recently with nothing more than a little propane torch and haven't had a single struggle with mine. Jut have to be patient and let it get hot. Once it's out clean out any left behind plastic and install the new joint. The new ones will have a traditional locking ring that seats in the groove in the yoke.
I actually just did the u joints about a month ago but am replacing them with new ones again since warrentied pieces from AutoZone. Melting the neoprene/locking rings out of the shaft was a PITA to myself, though, lol.

I just wasn't sure if it was 2dr specific. S10/Sonoma shafts fit at all?

Locally, these things are EXTREMELY hard to find. All 4wd/4dr shafts. No 2wd 2dr shafts anywhere.