2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 Blazer, Desperate for help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, +12V power is provided to the valve whenever the ignition switch is on from fuse #5 (20A). The ground is completed by the PCM, blue connector pin 12. If you do not have power on the pink wire at the valve, then there is a problem with the wiring. If you always have ground on the green/white wire, then you have a problem with that wire or with the PCM.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:18 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Not trying to offend, but if money is tight, Please stop guessing what is wrong and replacing good parts. You have an intermitant problem that you will probably be able to find with a scan tool doing a live data scan on the road. Yea, I know i preach this alot but it saved me from dumping alot of money chasing gremlins. My scan tool cost $140. How much has been spent on parts so far? My problem turned out to be a FTP sensor that shorted to ground intermittently. (Wish i could spell that word). It would kill the signal from my TPS, MAP,EGR ect. The truck would die, surge, spit sputter and buck and snort. I hope you get things worked out soon. And good luck with the job search.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

what is a FTP sensor?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

FTP = fuel tenk pressure.

It is used as an evaporative emissions system monitoring device.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:43 PM
danb2760 is on a distinguished road

so a live data feed would find the problem even when the truck seems to be running normal? cause the reason i been blind firing at gremlins is the shop doesnt seem to be able to find anything and neither can i because the truck will die and stall and all kinds of stuff then 5 minutes later when the someone or myself gets to look at it it want to run right, thanks everyone taking the time to help me with this, there have been dozens of times i thought i may have a solved it and it comes back to haunt me, thanks to everyone again, and does a 95 obd 1.5 have an FTP sensor? this is new to me just wondering

Last edited by danb2760; 04-07-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:28 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

The live data scan wont show whats wrong when it is behaving.....It will show you what the computer is "Seeing" at the very instant when the gremlin appears. You will have to plug it in and run a live data stream while your going down the road everytime you drive it until the truck acts up. If youre not hooked up when it misbehaves, you wont catch the gremlin. ** if the shop you are working with isnt finding the problem, try a different shop! Especially if they are spending your money guessing at the problem!****

I bought a 2000 Blazer for $500 that a shop misdiagnosed as needing a spider injector. It needed a cap and rotor. Sometimes you just need a new set of eyes to find a problem. Believe me! BEEN THERE DONE THAT!

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with 1995 OBD 1.5 so I cannot/will not guess about the FTP. Im sure someone else knows for sure right off the top of their head.

Last edited by kristoph30; 04-08-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 04-08-2011, 04:14 PM

the shop that i have been taking it too has been pretty decent to me, they dont charge me to scan it and they take a lot of time trying to help me find the problem and give me lots of suggestions to do myself so i dont have to pay someone to do it, this is the same shop that replaced my engine so i just stuck with them cause i thought they'd know the truck more than anyone else, but yes a second set of eyes would help, as far as the live data feed, where can i find a scanner for an OBD 1.5, these things are hard to come by, being they were only out for a year. and just how many vacuum lines does a 95 cpi have, i have check all the ones that i found and notice and to my eye they seem fine but just to cover base incase i happen to miss any, thanks

UPDATE: 4-09, 4:45am, no need to reply to the vacuum question, i found the vacuum schematic on the forum for my truck, man this forum is AWESOME its nice to see theres good in the world and people willing to help a stranger out and sorry for the impatience at times, i just have alot on my mind being laid off for over a year and all, makes job hunting hard when your scared to sit at a stop light or stop sign lol, so i just been trying to fix fix fix fix fix fix asap, anyway back to the vacuum thing, i found the shematic and there may have been a line or two i over looked, so i will be checking them out (weather permitting) in the next day or so, thanks! oh and if anyone knows of a OBD 1.5 scan tool that is cheap (not a profession class 2 scanner that cost more than my truck lol) that i could use to do a live feed please let me know

Last edited by danb2760; 04-09-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Beginning Member
outsydthbox is on a distinguished road

Hey danb,
I have read thru your thread & offer my sympathy. I too, have a '95 & just recently bought a scan tool (e-bay) that "I think" will work for you. It's an "Actron cp9190 Elite". I paid a bit over $300 shipped. (Advance could have ordered it for me for around $450) It is listed as "obd I & obd II" I have not tried it on my blazer yet, but I did (just now) go out to the garage & plug it in ( it fits). This scanner will read "live data" so I think you could leave it plugged in & sitting on the seat next to you.
I would also suggest something that has been mentioned earlier. Check your "ground wires & cables"...Body to frame, engine to frame, fuse box to body, etc. Especially if you live in the "rust belt"

Old 04-09-2011, 03:16 PM

so you have the same hook up i do eh? obd 2 connecter with obd 1 ecm under the passenger dash? let me know if that scanner works for you, by the way what is the "rust belt" is virginia part of it? , anyway its cold and rainy out today, so ill probably be checking my grounds and a few vacuum lines that i missed last time i checked them tomorrow or monday, yesterday i was in the car port grilling when a storm came in with some pretty heavy rain, anyway my truck was in the driveway getting dumped on so i figure i would let the truck idle in the rain and see if it did anything retarded that would help me isolate it, lord behold it didnt do a thing, ran for about 15-25 minutes idling to full running temp, reved it countless times, just a slight shake and 50 rpm twitch at idle that its had sence the new engine(last april), but for the most part it ran great, cut the headlights on and whipers to see if maybe there was wire issue, didnt do anything(didnt think it would but thought i would just check) didnt actually go for a drive though cause i was in the middle of cooking,anyway has anyone had an ecm crap out on them in a 95? the mechanic and advance both told me it could be my ecm in the process of "going out" but still hanging on to life, i dont know, just a thought id like another opinion on, thanks, checking vac lines again and grounds tomorrow(or monday) will keep posted

Old 04-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Beginning Member
outsydthbox is on a distinguished road

The "rust belt" is anywhere that a lot of road salt is used. Where I live, we only get maybe one "good" snow per year, so not a lot of rust & corrosion.
"OBD I under passenger dash?" ...I don't know, I've never looked. Mine does have the "flat dist cap" & a "W" in the vin.
Idled good in the rain,while sitting still? makes me think it could be a ground issue, or insulation "worn through" causing an intermittent short.
I don't know if I would throw money at a new ECM,...but I'm not in your situation either. Here's what a quick look on e-bay turned up:
S10 Blazer Jimmy 1995 95 PCM ECM ECU Computer 16193495 | eBay

Don't give up hope!

Quick Reply: 1995 Blazer, Desperate for help!!!!