2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 blazer need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Beginning Member
pough is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1996 blazer need help

i bought a 1996 blazer 4 dr 4x4 off my buddy for 2 grand with 121k. it had a coolant leak when i got it so i had to change the water pump (waterpump and my labor $100 vs dealership $1400 job). did all of that and its been driving good for a good 2-3 weeks, ive been driving it and its been fine till i got back from a trip to the city and now it wont start cranks over but just wont start. read somthing on the internet bout some kinda of security the car has to make the fuel not goto the engine or somthing like that (is there somthing like that?) to make the car not able to start

tried jumping it, checked fuses, tried getting codes but it doesnt throw any my brother even had this computer thing for 1996 cars and OBDII didnt say nothing was wrong it just wont start. i love this car and hope to fix it my self and not pay too much money. hope u guys can help me out

Old 07-16-2009, 05:16 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Any competent automotive technician with a Tech2 or equivalent scanner will be able to tell you what is going on with it.
$1400 for the dealer to change the water pump?!!... was there a new engine attached to it?

Old 07-16-2009, 05:52 PM
dew88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
Any competent automotive technician with a Tech2 or equivalent scanner will be able to tell you what is going on with it.
$1400 for the dealer to change the water pump?!!... was there a new engine attached to it?
X2 that and if not did they atleast offer a free sample of vaseline?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fuel, Air, & Spark are all necessities of combustion. Check fuel pressure.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member
Davis83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a 96 4dr 4x4 with 190K. Mine does this alot especially when its hot weather - I have to cycle the ignition off and on a couple of times and then it will crank. My fuel pressure checks good - but it acts like its vapor locked every summer!

Old 07-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Beginning Member

yea was bull**** at michael steads and i even knew the parts counter person its my buddys mom the guy i bought the car from lol. but yea they wanted bout 280 for just the freaking water pump (is it crome plated?) and with discount 230 still rediculous, then bout 1k for labor. drove down to good ol monument car parts and got water pump and hoses for under 100$

also already checked fuel pressure thinking its somthing with spark now. battery was kinda low and got drained cause i had to push it around the corner from my house so gonna go charge the battery and go from there.

heres a pic

Attached Thumbnails 1996 blazer need help-cimg1513.jpg  

Last edited by rriddle3; 07-17-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 07-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Beginning Member

found out its not getting fuel, sprayed some starter fluid in and it started and ran for a sec

Old 07-18-2009, 08:58 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

most likely time for a fuel pump..Got to drop the tank!

Old 07-19-2009, 04:08 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pough
...also already checked fuel pressure thinking its somthing with spark now...
Originally Posted by pough
found out its not getting fuel, sprayed some starter fluid in and it started and ran for a sec
This is why we often reply by saying we need the actual fuel pressure figures. Use the steps outlined in this thread to help pinpoint the exact problem.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Starting Member
minijosh is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you try changing the fuel filter first?

Quick Reply: 1996 blazer need help