2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1997 Misfire CEL blinking

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Beginning Member
Blessed23 is on a distinguished road
Smile 1997 Misfire CEL blinking

1997 chevrolet blazer 4x4 LS
History: STALLED 2 WEEKS AGO. CRANKED OVER BUT SOUNDED AS IF SOMETHING BOUND UP/NOT TIMED RIGHT. FOUND A BROKEN ROTOR INSIDE...WHICH ALSO SPUN THE CAMSHAFT SENSOR MAGNETIC ROTOR LOOSE ON THE DISTRIBUTOR. REPLACED DISTRIBUTOR, ROTOR,& CAP. HAYNES BOOK SAID TO SET ROTOR FACING BETWEEN THE 1 AND 6 TERMINALS. SET IT...ROTATED MOTOR TILL IT DROPPED INTO OIL PUMP. FIRED UP. HOWEVER ITS MISSING STILL!!! CEL LIGHT BLINKS AFTER 30 SECONDS. REPLACED WIRES AND PLUGS. STILL MISSING!!! IM LEAD TO THE INJECTORS BUT IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE...ALL MY ISSUES WERE RELATED TO BROKEN ROTOR AND DISTRIBUTOR? ANY IDEAS REGARDING TESTING INJECTORS. OR ANY IDEAS IF I SET THE DISTRIBUTOR WRONG. WOULD MY TRUCK EVEN FIRE UP IF I SET THE DISTRUBTOR WRONG?

Any help would be so very appreciated! anything guys. thanks in advance.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:30 PM
theeviltwinn is on a distinguished road

Try turning off the cap lock.

Mike

Old 01-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I second that. Very difficult to read.

Now, have you checked for codes? A blinking CEL indicates that the PCM has detected a potentially damaging misfire so I suspect you will find one of the P030x codes which you can read about in the applicable thread in the OBD2 link in my signature. There may be other codes that would help with the proper direction.

As far as the distributor goes, if you may very well be 1 tooth off. The Haynes book is horrible and would be better off as the lining of a bird cage IMO, but is better than nothing. Check out the EDI Engine Timing thread in the Tech Article (DIY) Index link that can also be found in my signature.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Beginning Member
Blessed23 is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the caps. Thanks Swartlkk the engine timing article was very helpful. I may have dropped it down a tooth out. Ill try it your way. Out with the haynes book for sure. very appreciated.

As for Mike... If you aren't going to write anything helpful on a post, dont write at all. THANKS!