Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   1997 S10 Blazer help Eats distributor caps!!!! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/1997-s10-blazer-help-eats-distributor-caps-75708/)

1gmctruckman 12-13-2012 06:42 AM

I did not feel a tremendus gain, but i did feel more top end, and it just ran better all around, but that could also be because of the new cap and rotor again. Do those slits i drilled out actually restrict air flow that much? i was able to see right through mine. The truck does not get driven everyday as it is one of 9 cars i have. It always seemed to happen when it was very humid out or raining or when the truck sits for a while.

I know how to adjust the torsion bars, all i have checked for was a difference in hieght side to side, but i don't know what the actual spec is suppose to be for height. Mine is a normal 4x4 4 door s10 blazer. It would stink if they are off cause then i have to get annother lazer alignment done, but whatever. I don't know what else it could be and none of my other trucks do this, the monotubes really just put it at bay, its more like a cover up to the problem i feel

1gmctruckman 12-13-2012 06:58 AM

Tired to add a car list to my signiture

Just testing my new pic and car list

Captain Hook 12-13-2012 04:01 PM

The improvement in performance was a combination of both the new cap & rotor, and camshaft retard being adjusted correctly. If you could see through the holes, it probably wasn't a contributing factor. If they were clear, the ventilation was sufficient and the problem was incorrect camshaft retard and a worn out cap & rotor.

Front chassis ride height is the vertical distance between the lower-most inboard point of the steering knuckle, nearest the ball joint stud, to the center of the lower control arm pivot bolt.
1996 & newer:
4WD (except ZR2) = 4.6” to 5.0” (4.8” is preferred)

It must be checked & adjusted on a level surface, like an alignment rack. A good quality alignment will include it in the price of the alignment ;) If they didn't even check it... find another alignment shop.

If it handles squirrely, like you described, there's a problem with one, (or more) of those things mentioned earlier, guaranteed. If yours still has the original control arm bushings, they're probably dried out, crumbling and sloppy. Replacing them will make a world of difference.

ssean92 01-15-2013 09:21 AM

I have been having the the wet weather issue for sometime but never figured it was the screens, have tried rtving the cap and that didnt work. Just figured it was a fault in the design. And I have been fighting a random misfire only at idle ihaven't been able to fix... Ihope the distributor trick works. Thanks guys

Captain Hook 01-15-2013 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ssean92 (Post 561989)
I have been having the the wet weather issue for sometime but never figured it was the screens, have tried rtving the cap and that didnt work. Just figured it was a fault in the design. And I have been fighting a random misfire only at idle ihaven't been able to fix... Ihope the distributor trick works. Thanks guys

Probably the same scenario as above... needs an AC Delco cap & rotor and camshaft retard adjusted. If the distributor has ever been out of the engine, and camshaft retard was not checked/adjusted after it was reinstalled, the odds of reinstalling it correctly are astronomically against you.

ssean92 01-15-2013 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook (Post 562048)
Probably the same scenario as above... needs an AC Delco cap & rotor and camshaft retard adjusted. If the distributor has ever been out of the engine, and camshaft retard was not checked/adjusted after it was reinstalled, the odds of reinstalling it correctly are astronomically against you.

Yes it has been out a few times.... And i am sure. I had no clue about that. And i have the issue only at idle, get 23-25 mpg on highway

Captain Hook 01-15-2013 03:51 PM

Post #10 explains why correct camshaft retard is important. Among other things, the rotor is aligned with the cap terminals when the ignition coil fires, which keeps the gap to a minimum. If it misfires only at idle, a lazy upstream oxygen sensor may be a contributing factor.