2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 Starter relay issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Bodar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1999 Starter relay issue?

Ok well i bought this fully loaded 99 blazer about 2 weeks ago. it is in great shape, she has 210k on it but the engine is spotless. really well taken care of by the prior owner. now i go to start it the other day to go to work and it was cold out so i tried to use the command start, something i have never had before. it never started with it so i went to give it the key and all power comes on and everything, till i push the key to ignition. then it acts as if the battery is dead. the starter clicks and everything. so naturally i thought the batt was toast. so i replaced it with my redtop out of my bushbuggy. Same thing happened. the engine will not turn over at all. its like the starter kinda engages and it moves very little but then nothing. I tried boosting it as well and it does not seem to be the problem. This is not my first vehicle by any means, and i avidly work on vehicles as my hobby. but this eludes me, it be the starter relay? does anyone have a pic of the location of it or can describe where it is for me? im sure i can find it on my own. Nothing beat collective knowledge. thank you for anyone who replies.
*COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS*
like i said im new to this whole chev thing, im converting over to chev from toyota for my street driving i guess, lol. its a 4.3l FI model if that helps any...
well i looked in the fuse box, and everything is in there. this chev looks to be nice to work on. i swapped out the starter relay with the rear defog relay as they were the same. nothing changed, i was looking at the ign fuse and it looks to be a bit scathed?? what could cause that? ive never blown that fuse before in any vehicle. but if that fuse was blown i wouldnt here the starter engage would i?
my voltage dips to 7 volts when the starter is engaged. there is power to the relay. IDK what the hellis going on with this thing but i am starting to think that i should never of bought this thing. Are these problems common with these things? the battery should be good i took it out of my 4runner yesterday and it started the 4runner fine.
thanks for combining my posts, i didnt think it was that big of a deal but cool. no problems. i am at a loss here, is the exciter wire for the starter on the relay? i will manually give it power to see if it turns over. if not i need a starter. any one?

Old 01-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Default RE: 1999 Starter relay issue?

like i said im new to this whole chev thing, im converting over to chev from toyota for my street driving i guess, lol. its a 4.3l FI model if that helps any...

Old 01-25-2009, 11:17 AM

well i looked in the fuse box, and everything is in there. this chev looks to be nice to work on. i swapped out the starter relay with the rear defog relay as they were the same. nothing changed, i was looking at the ign fuse and it looks to be a bit scathed?? what could cause that? ive never blown that fuse before in any vehicle. but if that fuse was blown i wouldnt here the starter engage would i?

Old 01-25-2009, 01:24 PM

my voltage dips to 7 volts when the starter is engaged. there is power to the relay. IDK what the hellis going on with this thing but i am starting to think that i should never of bought this thing. Are these problems common with these things? the battery should be good i took it out of my 4runner yesterday and it started the 4runner fine.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a starter problem. Probably worn brushes. With that kind of mileage, it is not unlikely that the starter is at fault.

And Please try to be patient. If another member has not yet posted in reply, use the edit feature to add further information. Consecutive posting has been abused in the past and is in violation of the rules of the forum.