2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 chevy blazer - multi issue new owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2000 chevy blazer - multi issue new owner

ORIGINAL: jonmouse

I appreciate the suggestion - but its not a grinding noise and it has nothing to do with the cruise or the 4x4.
How can you say it has nothing to do with the 4x4? You state that the only way you have been able to stop the noise is by fiddling around with the 4x4. That right there would point me at the 4x4. Even if you aren't using the 4wd doesn't mean that it couldn't be something in the front drivetrain.

I would check over the front drive shaft (transfer case to front axle) for signs of wear in the universals and possibly pull the shaft itself and drive it around to narrow down the problem. If there is any play in any one of the universals, it can cause some pretty weird stuff to happen.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:20 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: jonmouse

I appreciate the suggestion - but its not a grinding noise and it has nothing to do with the cruise or the 4x4. It first happened about 2 1/2 weeks ago or so. I left for work and all was well -got about 3 miles down the road and had to brake (from about 45 mph to about 30) for an idiot in front of me driving way too slow for a morning ride to work...and when I did- it made the noise that you could imagine a car makes when it starts to decelerate. Only it didn't stop there. As I followed this guy (going way to slow) lots of speed up, slow downs, and I was able to detect that my car was getting louder and louder - and it was this "wind down" noise. At the time, I couldn't quite figure out where it was coming from or if I could only hear inside or if it was as loud outside. I got to the first stop sign and it just sounded like a fire engine wailing as it came to a stop. On acceleration as I rounded the corner - same thing Traveled about another 3 miles- came to another stop and this time, I played with the push buttom 4 x 4, put it in and out of gear, and pushed on the brake really hard. When I started again and turned the corner, it had stopped. Didn't do it again for the rest of the 4 miles to work. I left work 8 hours later, drove about 3 miles - and it did it again. This time, I pulled over after I went through the first intersection, did the same (fanatical) series of things I had in the morning - and when I started again - it had stopped. I got home, called my mechanic and he said he'd look at it for me the next day. Of course - it didn't do that while he had it and he test drove it cold, exactly as I told him I had. He did put it in and out of 4WD and told me that he thought the 4x4 was sticking and that it had "clunked" out of 4WD and he thought that would solve the problem. It didn't do it the next day and that weekend it went on a 400 mile trip -didn't do it once.
Monday morning - fine -didn't do it- Monday when I left work - it did it and I was again, able to make it stop by messing around randomly with the same (as above). It's done it off and on, randomly for no apparent reason since. Its been as cold as 10 degrees and as warm as 45 degrees. Its not been in cruise once when this happened, nor 4WD. Its loudest and most apparent on deceleration from 10-30 mph. I've had other people in the car with me now - and they've stuck their head out the passenger window - its definitely loud outside and not just inside- and sounds more like its coming from the passenger side than just the front end.

Its a whine - but the sound that a car makes when its slowing down - only louder. Like, it starts out the normal sound of a car slowing down but gets louder and louder until - in that speed range - it sounds like a fire engine.

Any other suggestions my car doesn't go to the mechanic til Wed - and last thought...Friday night I went out for pizza - and it did it starting at about 6 miles from home after I got there, got the pizza, parked, turned it off and then got back in to go. It did it all the way home no matter if I tried my voodoo on it or not. I pulled over twice - and I couldn't get it to stop making the noise. I got in it this afternoon to go to the store- didn't make the noise once either there or back.

Go figure.??

now I guess to further expound on my original suggestion..I didn't say it happened in cruise control....it's when I came OUT of cruise control...i.e. slowing down....it would do it randomly...no one could replicate it..it did it for a year at least..not nearly to the extent that yours did...and when it made the "sound" I hit the 4 wheel drive button and then back into 2 wheel drive and it stopped..sometimes I had to pull off and drive it in reverse to get it to stop....it didn't feel like "gears" or it didn't happen in "4wheel drive"..it was random...it drove fine except for the r

Old 01-30-2006, 12:47 AM
jonmouse is an unknown quantity at this point

My apologies to those of you who suggested 4WD- new info and believe me - I never meant to imply I even had the vaguest idea what this could or could not be.....

Its been making the noise now ever since I took the car out Saturday and nothing I was doing would make it stop.

So, on the way to church this a.m. it did it. And after church to walmart and I’m noticing - its louder and louder- and now its not just from 10-30mph, now its 0-40 mph that you can hear it. My daughter got out and tried to listen - couldn't hear it outside - then so did I while she drove it - couldn’t hear it outside…so you can hear it in the vehicle but NOT outside- and its loud.

So, when we went to take my daughter to babysit a couple hours later - it was now more like a grinding noise. I'm friekin out because its getting worse.
I got out, popped the hood- tried to see if anything was loose or shaking, looked under the car- and that’s when I realized - that it was stronger now, louder and more of a vibration too- coming from under the passenger compartment - right where the 4WD pumpkin is.

Up to this point - let me be clearer -I have pushed repeatedly the 2WD button- not back and forth in and out of 2WD and 4WD- like I said in an earlier post - the way the thing clunks back into 2WD -I'm kind of afraid to use the 4WD -so to clarify- when I say I was pushing on the buttons - I meant to say, I would push the 2WD button.

But today, it won't stop no matter what I did so I pushed the 4WD button. And it stops. But it clunks INTO 4WD - something it wasn’t doing before. And then it clunks again. Then again- and all down the road its clunking and doing it so hard that its jerking the truck around - so I quick put it back into 2WD- and the noise starts up again immediately. So, a mile more of that - and I put it back into 4WD -and the noise stops- and it CLUNKS into 4WD, and then it clunks again - and once again - all down the road - its clunking and jerking the truck every time. SO I take it out of 4WD and put it back into 2WD- and the noise immediately starts again. Finally, I get disgusted and I push both buttons, one after another - ending in 2WD - and the noise STOPS. And no more clunking.

So, its definitely something to do with the 4WD - but its doing it when its in 2WD.

So now- new info. When I put it into 4WD - the noise immediately stops - but it clunks into 4WD and clunks with every full rotation of the tires, hard. When I take it out of 4WD and put it back into 2WD - it clunks once, doesn't clunk anymore - but the noise starts up again. Except now. Now, its not making the noise, or clunking - and the indicator light says its in 2WD.

Given all that - what should I tell my mechanic to go after?

Thanks so much for all this help. I really do appreciate it.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This very much sounds like the actuator on the front axle is not working properly - not engaging entirely when 4wd is requested and not disengaging when in 2wd. Probably the reason why it was disconnected when you first bought it.

Again, I'm going to ask how long ago you purchased it and how many miles were on it. The reason why I ask is because of the NYS Lemon Law warranty that comes with any used vehicle purchase. If you bought it from a dealership, they can be made to repair it, not your mechanic. Especially now that it is doing this more often.

If you do take it back to your mechanic, I would definitely have him completely check out the front axle, driveshaft and all associated parts. Have the bearings and universals checked.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:37 AM
jonmouse is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought it the day after Thanksgiving in 2005- so its been just about a full 60 days now and it had 105k miles on it anyway. The lemon law covers cars with up to 100k miles and if so, then only for 30 days.

ok- so now- can't I just have my mechanic detach the hose and have it go back to the way it was? Or is it too late for that and now we have to get into all this other stuff?
All this other, very expensive sounding stuff.
Like I said, I don't mind making a few, minor repairs on a "new to me" vehicle - I realize that everyone gets rid of a car because.....
but to buy one for 2 1/2 times the amount that I just spent on my 17 year old volvo 2 years ago, thats only 5 years old - and find that it needs MAJOR repairs - I'm kind of bummed.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Administrator

I understand completely. I had to do quite a bit of work on my Bravada after I bought it as well and the dealership sucked up a fair majority of it.

These issues shouldn't really cost all that much in parts, but the labor will be the kicker. A best case scenario is that your front driveshaft has a bad universal that needs replacing. Should only cost you $10 for the universal and acouple hours of labor.

Good Luck. BTW, I live just north of Cayuga Lake in the Finger Lakes. Probably about 2 hours from Dansville.