2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 2 door 4.3 fuel pump issues???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hondacharger

I still have the factory OEM plug for the small black adapter that plugs into the top of the pump. I did not realize that was the sending unit. ...>>S
It isnt. That's the Fuel tank pressure sensor. The one you replaced is both pump power and fuel levelo

Old 12-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Beginning Member
hondacharger is on a distinguished road

alright thank you I will check ASAP I am just gonna print out your post and go crawl under my truck LOL I will be back with results after coffee and advil , thanks for taking some time to reply you guys are awesome

so yes I did replace the 2x2 stacked square connector with the 4x1 flat rectangle.

I would love to solder but I use a benzomatic pen style solder kit and it uses gas vapor to get hot. Eventhough the tank is out and clean the smell of gas is still very prevalent so my gutt says hold off on the solder LOL .I need an electric solder gun but the gas is very mobile.

Thanks again for the support..>>S

Old 12-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Beginning Member

alright so rained killed my efforts last couple of days and I seemed to have twisted my knee severly some how but the show goes on LOL

I still do nothave 12 volts on the grey wire back at the pump, but before I cut into the harness to find a possible bad ground, is there another test some where up at the fuse relay center?

I want to be sure there is twelve volts at the beginning of this circuit, I did exchange the horn relay and the fuel pump relay and the horn works fine with either relay. I am pretty sure that rules out a bad relay.

However I wan to be sure there is 12 volts at the start of the circuit, also the trailer hitch pig tail for my brake lights turn etc, has been spliced to part of this harness that is on the very rear.

Is it pssible that the connection that is on this harness for the trailer hitch shares that ground and maybe the splice for the lights and wiring to the plug for the hitch have gone bad somewhere?

thanks much ..>>S

Old 12-09-2011, 06:21 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I had a recent problem with my relay not getting the signal to turn the pump on, you may want to check and see if when you have the key on, you have power at the relay.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Beginning Member

so should I just put the leads down into the where the prongs of the relay goes, like down in the fuse relay center / fuse block?

I also just got a message form the manufacture that they may have shipped me the wrong pump, they said it is possible the pump I received is only for the four door models? what would be so different about more doors that could affect the moedl pump?

oh geeees!!!! here we go again

Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, but make sure you are connecting to the correct prongs.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Beginning Member
rpeastep is on a distinguished road
Smile

Not sure if you are aware but the ground for the pump power is the solid black wire if you are concerned that there is not properly grounded. Also when checking the voltage at the connector, there will only be power to the connector for 4 or 5 seconds when you first turn on the key. If the system does not need pressure(there is pressure to the pressure regulator) it is designed to not have the pump running all the time just because the key is turned on. So you will need someone to turn on the key while you check for power with your meter.
The tanks are different on 2-dr & 4-dr. The pumps are different in that on the 2-dr model, the float is on the same side as the line hook-ups and on the 4-dr the float is on the opposite side of the line hookups. That is only difference I can see except that the 2-dr tank is about an inch shallower than the 4-dr model.
At some point, one has to trust his/her work and finish the installation and find out if it works. I know I always try to figure out how I can check before hand, but on something like this you just have to go for it and hope it works. Worst case is you have to drop the tank and check it then but you just did it once so you should know the tricks and will make it easier this time around. Good luck.
BTW, I just replaced one on my '97 4-dr/4wd so I know what you are going through.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member

alright I am back on the job tunrs out they sent me a pump that will not work on a two door model??? I think I conveyed well the frustration becuase they sent me a brand new delphi at no extra charge SAWEEET Yeah , so I have wired the new pump and it turns on just fine everything is near to be ready for install....

However of the three fuel lines on the top of the pump two small one large I have put the retaining clips in the larger outer and the outer smaller.

So the middle line also smaller does not seem that I can get a retaining clip inside the adapter?

Can anyone tell me for sure if the middle line requires a plastic retaining adapter also?

Maybe I have a broken sleeve inside? there are no clips on the outside? I can not find the old pump to check right now, but it seems like the inner of the line is smaller but the lines on the top of the pump look to be the same size?

Gees I am confused its been awhile since I removed everything so if anybody could tell me the proper size of retaining clip for each line of the three that connect to the top of the pump that would be great!!!!!

Thanks mucho........S

Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Beginning Member
rpeastep is on a distinguished road

As I recall the plastic retainers are the same but I am not positive. I didn't look at mine that closely. There is an o-ring inside that is held in by a sort of "washer looking" retainer. My retainer on the middle one came out when I took it off and actually I lost the o-ring temoraryily but found it. The washer thingy just popped right in when I decided to try to see if I could reassemble it and it worked fine. I wish I had replaced my retainers but didn't know that was an option until after I got finished but mine are working fine and that ws the second time I have put in a new pump.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

No they arent the same.. CAREFULLY take them all out.. I know it's a pita. Cuz I made the same mistake.

Bigger ones go with bigger, smaller with smaller.

Quick Reply: 2001 2 door 4.3 fuel pump issues???