2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Blazer Coolant Smell/No Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 03:11 PM
Beginning Member
johnrerika is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Blazer Coolant Smell/No Leaks

Nearly a year ago, I let my water get low on a long road trip and the car started heading up to hot, but never overheated. When I got home, I flushed it twice, but some darkish color was still in the water after each flush. I replaced my radiator, pump, thermostat and fan clutch. The temperature is dead-on the middle of the scale at all times. However, when I get out of the car I always smell the scent of antifreeze. There are no drips or puddles under the car or on the engine that I can find. I do have to add a few ounces of 50/50 coolant to the reservoir every couple weeks. This week, I took the pressure cap off and there was a trace of black sooty stuff on the cap and some floating on the water at the top. There was no milky stuff present. I suspect the intake manifold or head gasket leak, but would like some more opinions. Anybody had any luck with Bar's Head Gasket stop leak? Blazer in great shape, but I hesitate dumping money into an expensive head or manifold gasket job.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:51 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Any of the "stop leak" products are fine to use if you don't mind ruining your vehicle. A little research will answer any and all questions you have... I particularly enjoy an Eric the Car Guy YouTube video now and then and I know he has one dealing with stop leak products.

Head gasket problems are rare on these vehicles. Intake gasket problems are very common however. So rent or purchase a tool such as a UVIEW 560000 Combustion Leak Tester to see if you do have combustion gases entering the coolant. If you don't, do you know if the intake gaskets have been replaced with the newer style metal gaskets? If they have not, then more than likely your coolant loss is due to the intake manifold gaskets leaking. Lots of info on how to replace them and make sure you get the metal ones such as Felpro 98002T I think it is...

Old 03-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks CSBDDPC. I never used any of those stop luck products in my 82 years. I had heard that these manifold gaskets were a problem. The rest of the Blazer is in great shape. It has only 128K and I've never missed a 3000 mile service and never let any rust take hold. I may sell the truck to someone who wants to tackle the gasket change. Any knowledge on the new Chevy SUVs? I need to spend my time on restoring my 67 Mustang High Country Special. Thank again.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:32 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

I have a feeling that someone is going to get a really good vehicle.

New Chevy SUVS seem quite nice to me, but way overpriced. But if you've got the coin and want to spend it - why not!! Might as well enjoy it.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:50 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

If you don't want to tackle the job, just don't give it away! Something tells me if you can restore a limited run mustang, you could certainly change out the intake gaskets!!

As for the newer SUVs, I have a 2013 Yukon XL (old body) and my dad has a 2014 Yukon XL (newest body). They are certainly very nice. I did have a lifter go bad in my 6.2 liter, but GM replaced them all under warranty. The radios in both vehicles have had issues, and the door actuators seem like they are always dying. My oil and transmission lines are leaking somewhat as well - very irritating! Other than that, I am not aware of any issues and like I said, they are very nice. My dad had ordered an equinox when they first came out, but you couldn't get a power passenger seat so he didn't end up buying that. My receptionist has had two equinoxes and hasn't had any issues that I know of. My brother has a traverse and as far as I know hasn't had any issues either. I did buy a 2013 Enclave with the intention of trading it to my dad for the 2013 Yukon XL. I only had it for a couple days, but that was a very nice vehicle. I was impressed. If it was bigger I would have kept it. It was much nicer trim wise than the traverse... Like Les said, they are all a pretty penny BUT life is short right? I bet at least 81 of your 82 years have flown by!

Old 04-17-2017, 07:21 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys, I found the leak. It's the intake gasket. Used a pressure tester and let it stand for a couple hours. A small puddle of water seeped out just under the A/C compressor where it was hidden. It was really small, and probably boiled off when the engine was hot. Thus the smell and no water anywhere. Debating on when to tackle the job. My son, the aircraft mechanic will help. Thanks for all your comments.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

if your coolant is milky I would certainly not drive it. That most likely means that it is mixing with your oil which is certainly bad news. While it may not make your car over heat, if you have coolant in in your oil, you can kill your rotating assembly pretty quickly.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:27 AM
Beginning Member
Smile 2001 Cooland Smell

Thanks TaJohns34. None of those things are in my oil or water. Getting ready to tackle the gasket replacement.