2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Blazer Sticking Valve?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 03:59 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

So does this thing run yet????

Old 06-14-2015, 07:36 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 07nhbpsi
So does this thing run yet????
It should sometime today. Engine is in and the bottom side is done.

edit 6/15 closer but not yet. All but prime oil system, upper intake, distributor, top engine wiring, add fluids, and fire.

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-15-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:33 AM

It's alive again as of last night. Finished up, drove 1/2 hour (SES light flashing P300, TCC not engaging). Then cleared codes and did crank relearn procedure. (SES light now off - TCC now engaging). Drove it to work this morning. No issues other than a small but audible exhaust leak at the left manifold donut that I still need to fix. Oil pressure 65psi cold at 2000 RPM, 35psi at idle when completely hot. This is with 10W30 break-in oil. Probably will be slightly lower when I get the 5W30 in.

Total cost of repairs (doing both engines and transfer case shifting problems and misc) since September of 2014 was about $5500, a little more than I paid for the vehicle last August. I hope it will be worth it. I guess I'm telling myself that if I want a sharp 4WD SUV, 10K is not all that bad. And it does look like a new one, both inside and out.

Next..... intermittent drivers window inop and LF outer CV joint leaking grease.

p.s. seems I have confirmed that TCC clutch is disabled when P30x codes are set.

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-17-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:23 AM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Nice work!

Old 01-04-2016, 10:13 AM

Well I missed the first use for my Blazer this season. Instead of taking me to work in the snow today, it's riding on a flat bed to the tranny shop. Stripped sun shell - no reverse/2nd/4th gears. Was never abused and sun shell stripped just going into reverse at idle to back into my driveway. I'm not going to flat-back a tranny/transfer case in my garage in the winter and I really have no desire to work on it at this point - so $$$$$. Frickin' 4WDs.

Mine seems to be afraid of the snow. Getting a little frustrated. Now I'll be into a 2001 Blazer for a total of over $12,000 including the original purchase price back in August of 2014. I have driven it a total of 8000 miles. It's nice, but Geez!!! Will it never end? Can't keep on doing $2500 repairs every few thousand miles.

Beginning to wonder if it is worth it! Going to have to drive it until it rusts completely off the frame in order to get money back out of it! Unfortunately I don't do rusty cars any more and as a former Wisconsin vehicle, it's time here in Northern Indiana will be limited.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Blazer Sticking Valve?????-ccea514d-1933-48c9-9c69-0ff775b9bafc_zpszm0i9xdo.jpg  

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-04-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:15 AM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road

If it lasts you 10 years you will have paid less than $25.00 a week. If that helps diminish the pain. Nice looking Blazer by the way !

Old 02-01-2016, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 2004 Blazer
If it lasts you 10 years you will have paid less than $25.00 a week. If that helps diminish the pain. Nice looking Blazer by the way !
Thanks! I do like the way it looks! Just as nice and clean on the inside too. Otherwise it would have been gone a long time ago. I guess I have to think about what $12K will buy me in a later model SUV. But definitely can't tolerate many more expensive repairs.

It's back on the road now. Tranny was $2350. 3 yr 36K warranty, parts and labor. Had to be towed back in for a bad shift solenoid first week after repairs (only reverse and second gear would work). Haven't even looked under the vehicle or checked the trans fluid level since. If it wont go in the next 3 years, I'll just call them to come get it.

Been redoing my 1989 S10 race truck this Winter and it's taking all my garage time (Blazer kept me from it last year). Racetrack told me I have to put a cage and other safety things if I'm going to run even 0.1sec faster than I am right now. Just added a roll cage and fenderwell headers, a Milodon oil pan that actually clears my crossmember, a windage tray, and complete new front suspension including a-frame bushings - today getting street exhaust/mufflers added at a muffler shop. Then home for new fuel cell and -8an fuel system all the way to the regulator on side of carb, plus battery relocation and then fire the engine. Reuphostering stock 1st gen S10 bucket seats myself with uphostery kit and hog rings - one seat almost finished but cheapass hog ring pliers are bending. The strip out all the ductwork out my the stock dash (is removed) and completely rewire the entire vehicle. Need new carpet and fabricate some inner door panels to clear the door bars. Install the new driver's safety harness. Install a lexan back window so can cut it out for rear bars to pass through. Put the front clip back on and redo my radiator shroud for the lowered fan position. Plus a million other little things that need to be done before April.

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-01-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:01 PM

Frickin' transmission n the Blazer went out again on Sunday on the way back from picking up my in-laws at Ohare (after they flew over 8000 miles). Started slipping and howling and then after sitting for a bit seemed fine for a few minutes - then repeat. Almost got back on the Interstate after driving through a detour but aborted on the on-ramp and went back to wait at a gas station. My next-door neighbor came 60 miles in the rain and rescued us. Good thing the tranny is still under warranty or I would just leave the dang thing on the side of the road and try to forget about it. Trans shop towed it back to South Bend yesterday and I'm waiting to hear what they say.

.... and I had been worried about a lazy 1-2 shift on the Avalanche. Silly me.

Last edited by LesMyer; 05-02-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:19 PM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that. Don't give that shop any more business. I have been planting trees and prepared for guests so I have not done a thing yet, my back is killing me ! It is more than a stuck valve I think. when I tried to restart it there seemed to be some kind mechanical interference that prevented turning over momentarily. ( rotor ) I will know something by this weekend. I'll get back to you when I figure out what the malady is.
Update: 8/7 I found that the rotor had lost one screw come loose and taken out two cap terminals I replaced the cap & rotor and it cranks but wont start. I pulled both valve covers to check the valve train and found nothing out of sorts, everything was rotating and nothing bent or out of alignment. I need to check for spark and go from there. I will have to jack the engine to drop the pan for a timing set R&R. That is as far as I have gone with it so far. It's parked until my back feels better and I have time for it. Oh, I dropped the transfer case and replaced the front input seal that has been rattling around in my console for 2 years.

Last edited by 2004 Blazer; 08-08-2017 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Beginning Member
mickey_bigdaddy is on a distinguished road

Les,

Reading your thread has just convinced me to let my 1999 Blazer just die. I have had many of the same issues as you. I actually spent a lot of time on this forum back in 2014 swapping my engine and sorting out some of the same problems. I first tried to save my original engine but eventually swapped it out. Since then, I've had my transmission rebuilt, I did some heavy hauling so I'm not too surprised. I had the same motivation as you, it was a nicely kept, one owner vehicle that looked nice.

Well I'm back to looking into what to do with this current engine. It has developed a lower knock, just like the first engine. I paid careful proactive attention to things when I put this engine in: new oil pump, good coolant, checked torques, new gaskets and seals, injector upgrade, etc. I do regular oil changes and keep check on that coolant. Well, I'm not going to go through this again after reading your thread. I did a engine replacement once and it just isn't worth it to me to do it again. I was actually going to upgrade to a V8. But, I'm done and I'm going to chalk this one up as lessons learnt from Les and his adventure. Thanks buddy for sharing this and saving me from a $12k (kinda) money pit. You really talked some sense into me.

Btw, mine is the same color as your's......

Last edited by mickey_bigdaddy; 08-07-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Blazer Sticking Valve?????