Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   2002 Security: Disable alarm and FOB issue (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/2002-security-disable-alarm-fob-issue-71671/)

Tony H 06-24-2012 06:34 AM

2002 Security: Disable alarm and FOB issue

My dopey daughter is a glutten for punishment she just bought another Blazer.. 2002. We are not alarm people. They are annoying. The even activate themselves if you leave your doors unlocked.
She went out to the car last night to grab something. she opened the Unlocked Drivers door and the alarm started Sounding. By the time she ran back in the house, grab the keys and stuck them in the ignition to start the car and turn off the alarm, I'm pretty sure the entire neighborhood was awake.
How do I turn this sucker off? Not to mention I'm sure mechanics hate opening a door on a car they are working on and having the alarm blast, I know my friend charges the customers extra IF they do not disable their alarms when bringing it in for service.
Also the FOB does not work. The battery is fresh, when pushing any button you can see the small light on the FOB blinking as if it is trying to do something. Any thoughts.

DaveHearne 06-25-2012 03:22 AM

I can't offer any advice on the alarm but if the fob battery is new did you re-synchronise it to the vehicle? This needs to be done if you haven't. Simply hold the lock & unlock buttons down together until the locks cycle (lock & unlock again). Usually takes around 7 seconds. It could be that when you use the fob to unlock it disarms the alarm too but i'm not 100% sure as I have no experience of Blazer alarms. My UK RHD model has no alarm.
Hope this helps?

Tony H 06-25-2012 07:39 AM

First time with a car with aFOB, so I had no idea about resynchronizing. I'll give that a shot
thanks

Tony H 06-26-2012 08:02 AM

Additional Info It's a Avital FOB was that the unit the Dealer used?
Dave, i tried your suggestion. Held it for 10 seconds my first attempt. Then 30 seconds the second attempt. Any chance the Ignition key had to be in the'Run' position or something weird like that?
Looking at the TWO 'How To's' below, they are different from each other as well. I haven't tried those yet

How to Reprogram an Avital Key Fob | eHow.com
How to Re-Program a Car Key Remote Fob - 2CarPros

ojibwe_guy 06-26-2012 12:09 PM

Well first of all, it could be the wrong fob. Is it the factory alarm, or did someone put an aftermarket alarm in?

I bought a used Blazer and it came with what were clearly Chrysler key fobs. Didn't look close till I got home, but the dealer let me dig through his bucket (yes, literally a bucket full) of fobs to find one that would work. There's a number like AB01502T on the back of it that has to work with your specific vehicle.

EDIT: a pic of the keyfob would be helpful.

Tony H 06-26-2012 12:13 PM

The security light on the dash blinks.. So I assume it is factory.

The guy said it was working but recently stopped, he assumed just a battery change ( Or so the story goes). Yes there are numbers on the back of the FOB.. where on the Blazer is the alarm that may show corresponding numbers?

ojibwe_guy 06-26-2012 12:28 PM

Here's the correct GM fob with a pic and the corresponding Part and FCC ID numbers. Pretty sure if it doesn't match up, the fob won't work.

2002 Chevrolet Blazer Remote Keyless Entry. Key Fob Transmitter, 15043458

Tony H 06-26-2012 12:36 PM

The one we have is definitely different.
No energency, just something I have to work out.
I was hoping it was a simple question.
I wonder if the FOB doesn't belong to the car and I can get a GM FOB and then Syncro it in the manner stated in one of the above posts

DaveHearne 06-28-2012 06:55 AM

You should be able to program the correct fob using one of methods described in one of above posts.

bromanjr 06-28-2012 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tony H (Post 526629)
The one we have is definitely different.
No energency, just something I have to work out.
I was hoping it was a simple question.
I wonder if the FOB doesn't belong to the car and I can get a GM FOB and then Syncro it in the manner stated in one of the above posts

Your vehicle came with a Factory "Security System" it utilizes the Security light and the standard horn on the truck.

Factory FOBs can only be synchronized after they have been matched to the truck and have stopped working, mostly after battery change.

Sounds like you also have an aftermarket Alarm and the Avital remote is matched to it. The two systems can interact based on the features of the Aftermarket alarm and how it was installed.

Find the Aftermarket Alarm module under the dash and get a make/model number, find the brands' site and download a manual, this should instruct you on how to put it in "Valet" mode and stop the system from tripping. Beyond that, you can uninstall it or have an Alarm place uninstall it.