2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

3 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 PM
cr8390 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 Questions

Alright heres my questions I have replaced every fluid in my truck except for the brake fluid and the transmission fluid. I would love to drop the pan and fill it with new fluid but im afraid. I have been searching alot around the forum and have came across countless threads about not replacing the fluid because the tranny could go. My transmission runs great it shifts a little hard from first to second but thats it. The fluid is red and not burnt, and i have never changed it. It has 90,000 on it (never replaced to my knowledge). Do yo think it will harm it to drop the pan and change the filter and refill? Also if i plan on doing this what type of dexron should i put in?

Now about my rear diff...... I replaced the fluid about 6 months ago i was wondering how often you should change it. Because when i did it like 6 months ago i bought a new dif cover from chevy and the thing has alot of rust on it already so i was thinking when the time comes i would do what triple black did and spray it.

Last question is about the A/C should you ever check the refrigent levels? My a/c works great but i was wondering maybe if i should check the refrig fluid levels? Just seeing if there is any maintence for it...

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate it!!!

Old 06-20-2009, 03:40 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

90,000 is not all that high for your trans. Some mfg's suggest around 60,000 to do a fluid/filter change. Go ahead and do it.
It's the ones that have high mileage ie 150,000+ that depend on the old fluid that contains clutch material in the fluid to continue working properly. You sign the death warrant when you change the fluid then.

I'm not sure when the diff fluid should be changed, (someone should chime in shortly) but if you want to pull the cover off and do maintenance to it and change fluid at the same time, go for it. Unlike high mileage transmissions, your diff is not going to be effected by 2 oil changes in a year.

It takes a good set of A/C tools to conduct a proper fluid check on A/C systems. If your A/C blows cold air with no problems, let it be. Not much you can do as far as checking the "level".

Old 06-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

Changing the fluid on a high mileage trans isn't a problem... Flushing them is what causes the problems. Yes, it is correct that clutch material is in the fluid, but typically those particles remain in the case or pan/filter unless you flush it out.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:25 PM

ok so u guys are saying that its ok to drop the pan change the filter and refil?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should have no problems with dropping the pan and changing out the filter provided you do everything right and do not damage anything in the process.

With the rear diff, you should be able to easily to +50K miles between axle services with out a problem. If you tow regularly, then you may have to do it more frequently.

As far as the A/C goes, if it cools properly, do not worry about it.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:11 PM

alright thanks so much everyone for answering my question