2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4.3L Upper Intake removal problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Jerseyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4.3L Upper Intake removal problems

Hi Guys, new to the Forum but looks like alot of good information on here. I am in the process of replacing the intake manifold gaskets on my 96 Blazer 4.3L and I'm having issues getting the upper intake to seperate from the CSFI unit. All the mounting bolts/studs are out of the perimeter of the upper intake (and ithe intake is free to move), but I cannot get the Fuel Metering block to come out of the center of the upper. It's driving me nuts! Are thier any tips or tricks to getting the fuel metering block to release out of the upper? From everything I have read, it seems the upper is just sealed to the metering block by an O ring and should just slide up and off of the Fuel Metering block. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Jersey

Old 04-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4.3L Upper Intake removal problems

When I pulled my upper intake to replace my injector orings, I just pushed the metering block out the bottom of the plastic upper intake. It is an oring seal and it will come out. I'll be doing this disassembly again shortly as I need to replace the lower intake manifold gasket...

Old 04-26-2006, 03:16 PM

Thanks, I don' know why it won't release. It almost seems like it's bolted to the upper somewhere but there are no bolts/pins around it that I can see. I even tapped on it with a hammer last night and it just won't break loose. I really hate to break it and have to buy a new unit. Once I get that off, I can get the distributer and the lower out and I'm home free. If anyone else has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

Jersey

Old 04-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does the plastic upper intake move around at all? The injector pack isn't rigidly fixed to the lower manifold. It gives a bit. If the UIM doesn't wiggle around semi-freely, then you've still got a bolt holding it in somewhere.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:43 PM

Hell, the upper intake can twist/move all over the place, it's stricktly the metering block that is holding it. Guess I just need to get more medievel with it :-)

Jersey

Old 04-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Ok, just had to say that because I'd hate for you to snap something off. Those things aren't cheap either.

Anyway, if you have another oring for the SCFI unit to UIM (or just go buy one), you can spray some penetrating oil (for rusted bolts) down between the UIM and SCFI unit. This will soften the oring and hopefully free it up. You will have to wait awhile for the oil to get down around things. Spray it down good once, go have a beer and then try to remove it. You could also warm up the area with a heat lamp or heat gun (no torches please) and that may help as well.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:32 PM

I'll give that a try tonight once I get home. I'll try anything once...especially at this point! I'm wondering if someone may have RTVd the gasket in the past...

Thanks for the help,

Jersey

Old 04-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Yikes! RTV... I hope not.

Anyway, are you replacing the intake manifold gaskets? I just priced a set of gaskets from Advanced that had all of the gaskets/o-rings from the block/heads up to do that entire job including the o-rings for the brake booster elbow, EVAP purge assembly, and the distributor gasket(often forgotten). It was $45 for the Felpro kit.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:23 PM

Finally got it off last night. Seems the carbon build up in the upper was holding it in there. Got everythign apart, cleaned up and the lower reinstalled . going to finish up everything else tonight. Thanks for hte help guys!

Jersey

Old 04-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

I know I didnt help with this one but its just nice to see that this forum is such a help to people I really like it here!

Quick Reply: 4.3L Upper Intake removal problems