2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4WD Vacuum Line and Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 12:47 AM
Starting Member
Americannoli is on a distinguished road
Default 4WD Vacuum Line and Reservoir

Hey I've got a 1996 Chevy Blazer LT with the three button 4WD switch. I've recently tapped new holes into the skid plates and decided to change out the Vaccum actuator, and Transfer Case Switch. After doing so the car seemed to use 4WD when engaged but recently stopped. I popped the hood and greased the cable that connects into the vaccum actuator. I was wondering how hard it was to replace it and how to do so. Secondly, the vacuum reservoir (black ball) that mounts to the bottom of the hood has broken off. I was wondering if someone could link me the proper parts for the Vacuum Reservoir, Vaccum Reservoir Vaccum Line, and the T intersection it connects into as well as a new cable for my actuator. I'm hoping it's not hard to remove and replace. One of these days I'll get a posi lock.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:23 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Americannoli
Hey I've got a 1996 Chevy Blazer LT with the three button 4WD switch. I've recently tapped new holes into the skid plates and decided to change out the Vaccum actuator, and Transfer Case Switch. After doing so the car seemed to use 4WD when engaged but recently stopped. I popped the hood and greased the cable that connects into the vaccum actuator. I was wondering how hard it was to replace it and how to do so. Secondly, the vacuum reservoir (black ball) that mounts to the bottom of the hood has broken off. I was wondering if someone could link me the proper parts for the Vacuum Reservoir, Vaccum Reservoir Vaccum Line, and the T intersection it connects into as well as a new cable for my actuator. I'm hoping it's not hard to remove and replace. One of these days I'll get a posi lock.
Since the front axle lock in works on vacuum, I would fix the vacuum reserve tank first and then see if the 4WD works. Junkyard for the vacuum reserve tank - you aren't going to find a new one. Any GM dealer or the Internet should be able to easily provide a P/N for the actuator cable. Good luck.