2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4x4 Only - Transmission Fluid in the Vacuum Lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 04:25 PM
aa21830 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info on replacing the seal - first good description I've seen here (or anywhere). And everyone needs a good tranny friend....

Old 11-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Beginning Member
kendog is on a distinguished road

alrighty. pics would definitely help on this scenario. checked my actuator under the battery tray. all is well there. pulled some vac lines elsewhere and still nada. haven't been near my transfer case yet. haven't had time. but I am optimistic. checked my transmission fluid and it was fine. also, anyone ever have their 4low button just blink like an idiot when you push it? I have 4hi but it won't give me the low gear.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Beginning Member
supermario28 is on a distinguished road

if the vacuum switch was bad what would it do to my car? would i see smoke? or a leak?

Old 04-26-2014, 06:20 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

My first suggestion to those with 4x4 problems is to remove the 4x4 switch, carefully separate the two halves of the housing and then re-flow every solder connection on the circuit board. I also found little if any solder on all of the connector pins, so I added a bit of solder to all of these.

Use a low wattage soldering tool, not one of those Weller 100 watt guns as this will burn the board. If you have never soldered before, practice on something else first.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by supermario28
if the vacuum switch was bad what would it do to my car? would i see smoke? or a leak?
It depends how the switch fails. Usually they leak vacuum past the O rings inside the switch. If that's the case, the 4WD & HVAC vacuum lines and system can be contaminated with transfer case fluid, (ATF). Very time consuming and can be costly to clean it out. It's rare that they leak externally or cause the exhaust to smoke.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Starting Member
RJ2004 is on a distinguished road

don't forget to clean or replace the vac reserve canister if fluid got in the system.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:30 AM
1gmctruckman is on a distinguished road
Default Part number?

Originally Posted by AintQik
I just fixed mine last weekend. First pull the fill plug out of the transfer case and see how much extra fluid is in the transfer case. If there is any, you need to replace the seal before you do anything else. The seal is $11, dont buy the cheap one. You can replace the seal without dropping the case. (My Blazer is a 01 ZR2). Remove the shafts, take out the tranny mount and cross member. Drop the tranny down until the trasnfer case is resting on the torsion bar cross member (as low as it will go). Remove the encoder harness and the other plug. Remove the bolts that hold the transfer case to the the tranny. Leave the adaptor plate on the transmission. The case is around 60 pounds. It probably will not come out but don't get your head smashed. Push the case back as far as you can get it and twist the front toward the passenger side. You will see the seal. the seal retainer is held on by 4 bolts. They have sealant on them so be prepared to fight them the whole way out. The retainer is sealed to the case but there is a hole/slot in the side to get a small prybar in there. I'd say its at like 10 o'clock. Pop it off rejoice. It will clear the transmission if you buggy lug the case around. Replace the seal and put it back together. My tranny friend, well wait let me rephrase that, my friend that works in a transmission shop tells me the best sealant to use is Ultra Gray. There is no paper gasket available to replace the one between the transfer case and the adaptor. Use the Ultra Gray there too. Just get up in there and make sure both surfaces are clean and remember its aluminum so don't get all nuts up there with a razor. Put it back together easy squeezy.

Now you got the leak fixed, replace the vacuum switch. While the plug is off spray compressed air down from the feed line over by the brake booster. Clean it with simple greem or something or replace the line. Then take your dash off and your AC panel off. The blend door dealio had a vacuum switch that needs to come off and be cleaned. On mine, the switch itself had gone bad from the fluid. I had to replace, I could not get it to stop hissing. New one fixed it. You may or may not have lost one of the blend door actuators. Check em and replace. If they are good try and clean em. Tranny fluid will kill em over time. Next take the battery out and check the 4x4 actuator under the tray. Mive still worked but I can feel its slimey inside like there is some fluid in there. Its not going to last much longer, but its easy to swap. If yours is holding vacuum its your call whether or not to change it.
Does anyone have the part number to the "Good" seal?

Thank you!

Old 11-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Starting Member
Larry Joel is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 GMC jimmy fluid in vac. lines

Can this cause it to stall out going down the rd. and back fire if you play with the gas peddle?It seems as if it is flooding out but when the auto store hooked it up to computer is just says vac problem

Old 06-12-2018, 06:18 AM
Starting Member
Michael Bailey is on a distinguished road
Default Vacuum lines

Any idea where I can get the vacuum hoses from or specs on the length and diameter. I’d rather put new ones in than clean out the old ones and I’ve looked everywhere but can’t find replacements for them.