Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   95 Blazer Towing Capacity (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/95-blazer-towing-capacity-97717/)

Tom A 09-09-2018 11:55 AM

Thanks, Christine for looking up that info. I was being lazy. ;-)

Matthew,
I don't know about where you live, but around my house, Enterprise rents full-size pickups for $76.00/day, including tax and fees. I'm pretty sure you get unlimited mileage. Even though I think your Blazer would probably be ok, as long as there aren't any long, steep grades involved, it's probably still a good idea to rent a bigger truck for peace of mind.

On a different note, what's wrong with the Blazer you're buying? Any chance it would be easier and/or cheaper to fix it where it sits and drive it home?

Matthew Anglin 09-09-2018 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A (Post 695482)
You can do that with some. But some transfer cases have an oil pump that doesn't turn if only the output shaft is spinning, so there won't be any lubrication while towing. I'm not positive that yours isn't safe to tow, but better to err on the side of caution. It only takes a couple of minutes to disconnect the shaft.

I was just wondering why people always said this for 4x4 vehicles

Tom A 09-09-2018 04:30 PM

Most 2WD vehicles can't be towed with the drive wheels on the ground, either.

Matthew Anglin 09-09-2018 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A (Post 695498)
Thanks, Christine for looking up that info. I was being lazy. ;-)

Matthew,
I don't know about where you live, but around my house, Enterprise rents full-size pickups for $76.00/day, including tax and fees. I'm pretty sure you get unlimited mileage. Even though I think your Blazer would probably be ok, as long as there aren't any long, steep grades involved, it's probably still a good idea to rent a bigger truck for peace of mind.

On a different note, what's wrong with the Blazer you're buying? Any chance it would be easier and/or cheaper to fix it where it sits and drive it home?

Nothing wrong with the blazer im buying it is replacing the one I currently have lol, Yeah I thought uhual charged like $0.60 per mile added to the vehicle but I didn't know it was unlimited, would a 1500 series truck be big enough to tow the blazer and trailer

Tom A 09-09-2018 04:33 PM

U-Haul DOES charge for mileage. It's Enterprise that I don't think does.

Matthew Anglin 09-09-2018 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A (Post 695513)
U-Haul DOES charge for mileage. It's Enterprise that I don't think does.

Ok I wonder if uhaul would let me rent a trailer from them using a enterprise truck lol

Tom A 09-09-2018 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Anglin (Post 695514)
Ok I wonder if uhaul would let me rent a trailer from them using a enterprise truck lol

There's one way to find out. Give them a call. While you're at it, you should probably call Enterprise and make sure they'll let you tow a U-Haul trailer.

odat 09-09-2018 05:31 PM

A 1500 pickup would beat trying the blazer to tow it with but a 1500 is still only a 1/2 ton

Besides the fact that towing that big a load with the blazer is like a a piss ant pulling a loaf of bread, no one has brought up the point of - you will be maxed out on tongue weight, the heaver on the tongue the less weight you have on front tires for steering as it picks up the front.

Your chances of dog legging and causing a accident in a emergency will be high.

IMHO use a tow dolly, they work well and will be a lot safer in the long run.
That being said if you have to round trip the dolly when empty they bounce a little, Just remember the old saying SPEED KILLS and in this application both ways during the trip Take your time and use your head you would be fine with a dolly.

Matthew Anglin 09-09-2018 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by odat (Post 695520)
A 1500 pickup would beat trying the blazer to tow it with but a 1500 is still only a 1/2 ton

Besides the fact that towing that big a load with the blazer is like a a piss ant pulling a loaf of bread, no one has brought up the point of - you will be maxed out on tongue weight, the heaver on the tongue the less weight you have on front tires for steering as it picks up the front.

Your chances of dog legging and causing a accident in a emergency will be high.

IMHO use a tow dolly, they work well and will be a lot safer in the long run.
That being said if you have to round trip the dolly when empty they bounce a little, Just remember the old saying SPEED KILLS and in this application both ways during the trip Take your time and use your head you would be fine with a dolly.

The max speed ill be going is 55-60 mph the whole time bringing it home and I'll be getting the dolly when I get into the same city that the blazer is at so only one trip with the dolly, I think the blazer can pull the weight pretty good leave it in drive not over drive and keep it at 55-60 and I should be ok the transmission in my blazer has been rebuilt and is beefed up and the 4.3 vortec the old style aluminum plenum intake motor should have enough power to pull the other blazer fine

odat 09-09-2018 06:31 PM

With a dolly your blazer should have plenty of power too tow the other blazer home, It would prob. even tow the trailer at a lower speed - control is the real issue.
I had a old 84 blazer with the 2.8 and I used it to pull my sand rail with a tow bar into the hills.
In fact when the injection pump went out in my 84 Chevy 6.2 3/4 ton while coming home from sand railing we used the old blazer and tow rope to tow my pickup, 18' flat bed with two sand rails loaded on it the 5 miles home. But I would not have tried towing the trailer and rails with the bumper hitch on the blazer as too big a risk of loosing control.

Ask if you rent a dolly as I think recommended speed towing is 45 to 50 max