2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97' 4x4 Blower works, then does not

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 AM
ncoull is on a distinguished road
Default 97' 4x4 Blower works, then does not

Hello and thank you for any help in advance.

I have recently taken ownership of a 97' 4x4 2dr blazer I call Frankenstein, or Frank for short. Frank is a special needs kind of truck, and the list of problems is going to be long. I will be posting from time to time, but more importantly using this forum for research. So here is the first of the posts;

I have looked through lots of the threads, and cant seem to find an answer specific to this issue. So if I am asking a question already in the forum, I apologize in advance.

There is an issue with the blower motor power. 99% of the time, there is no power to the blower. The other 1% it works great. The floor, vent, defrost selector works fine all the time. The compressor engages regularly. There is heat if you turn the temp control to heat. The blower has worked on 2 seperate occasions, and there was nothing special happening when the blower started working. Both times the blower just turned on while driving. Once the ignition is switched off the blower does not work again. I have checked the fuses, and wires. Not sure what to check next.

The other electrical issue that I worry might be part of this, is the driver side power window does not work at this time either. But unlike the blower motor, the window has not worked at all while I have had the truck. So I believe the motor for the window is dead. That will be another post for a different day.

I look forward to any ideas, or suggestions.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Beginning Member
Leo_p is on a distinguished road
Default Welcome

Welcome from NY
First off, do you have the heater/AC control unit with the "AUTO" temperature option? I don't believe it came in the 97's but that could make the problem way more complicated

Second, have you tried testing the switch in your dash at all? And all the wires the run out of it to the motor? Relays?

Third, I don't believe the window has anything to do with your blower motor I saw, a few days ago, a website for replacement window motors that I believe were very well priced but I don't remember what website It was I find it I'll let you know. Also, b4 actually replacing or ordering window motor I would test window switch

Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 PM
ncoull is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the reply! I have tested the switch, and it tested good. But there is no power to the switch. This is a manual control system. The only function that does not work is the blower. I am thinking of trying a bypass to see if the problem is before the switch. Any ideas of what and where to look?