2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Blazer Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 01:46 PM
critter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 Blazer Problems

Well. I am new here and I am having a problem figuring out what is wrong with my Blazer.

As of right now I have a Service Engine Soon light on. (found out it's a small emissions leak)
I have a gas smell every once in a while, while I drive.
And just recently I have been having trouble starting it after it sits for an extended period of time. But once it warms up (the car) it starts with no problems. When I do have trouble starting it. I put a little bit of starter fluid in the carb and it starts right up.
I also am having a hesitation with the car when I down shift (it's a manual transmission)

I think I have narrowed it down to a couple of things. but If anyone can help me narrow it down even more it would be greatly apprectiated!

Old 06-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Mickeymouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 97 Blazer Problems

Hi do you have an OBD contact so you can scan your veichle?

If so do it or if you know someone who has one of these contacts?

When you scan you'll get a trouble code and this will tell you what the problem is?

//Michael

Old 06-21-2008, 03:05 PM

I do not have one. But I took it to Auto zone and they found out it was a small emissions leak. I don't remember what the exact code was though.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:32 PM
NoPantsAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem with starting my 97 blazer. I'm going to get a fuel pressure gauge and check my pressure at starting. I'm pretty sure it's a week fuel pump.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:38 AM

Have you recently changed the fuelfilter?

Old 06-22-2008, 04:50 PM

Fuel filter has been changed. I think I have narrowed it down to either my fuel pump, or something with my fuel injectors.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 AM

Critter you wrote earlier that you had small emission leaks is this before or after the lambda?

If it's before the lambda the computer will calculate wrong amount of fuel and air mixture, but this will also give you a poor milage?

I'm running out of ideas, if it's not the weak fuelpump you think. I'll would test to repair the leaks if it's before the lambda. Disconnect the battery to reset the computer for an half hour, this is for the computer to go back to it's original table an relearn all.

I had this kind a trouble with an old Saab I had several years ago. Don't remeber exactly what I did but but....

You also wrote that you had some gas smell. It's not so that you have a gas leak on the return line? If you have a leak here there will bevery poor pressure in the fuel injectors?

Since thevecihle needs more fuel when it's cold, I belive anything below70-80C is to be called a cold start.

Yeah I know lots of ideas, I could be wrong on some of them but it could be a hint for you while you investigating.

Sorry I can't remeber I'llyou if I figure it out or someone else couldcome with some ideas.

If you fix it could you let me know what it was?

// Michael

Old 06-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I think by 'small emissions leak' he is describing the EVAP emissions system which is the control of fuel vapor emissions which given a small leak as described, would have little to no affect on the operation of the engine. A small leak could be caused by a loose gas cap (you should tighten it until you hear at least 3 clicks), a faulty o-ring on the gas cap (replace gas cap), a faulty seal at any one of the connections that maintain fuel tank integrity (fill and vent line for the filler neck, vacuum connection at the sending unit, check valve at the front of the tank, vent solenoid located on the cross member in front of the spare tire on 4dr models, etc)... A fault in the EVAP system could result in a slight odor of fuel outside the vehicle.

Hesitation off idle could be caused by a number of things; a dirty MAF sensor (clean it), a dirty/stuck EGR valve (clean it and replace the gasket with one that has an integrated screen on the inlet port), a faulty TPS sensor (check with ohm meter for dead spots in the grid), as well as a vacuum leak (go over all vacuum lines with an unlit propane torch and listen for the engine idle to increase/change) and other less likely possibilities.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: NoPantsAndy

I have the same problem with starting my 97 blazer. I'm going to get a fuel pressure gauge and check my pressure at starting. I'm pretty sure it's a week fuel pump.
I've got a PO440(EVAP), and I've given up on fixing it. I've replaced the gas cap. Advance will clear the code for me, and it'll stay off for up to two weeks, then returns. Doesn't the tank have to come down, to replace the purge solenoid? Is the purge solenoid independent of the fuel pump itself, or does the whole thing have to be replaced?
I'm ready to stick some electrical tape over the SES light, and say to hell with it![:@]
Truck runs perfect, btw, I just HATE staring at that damned light![:@]

Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, lets not go too far off topic here boys.

The purge solenoid is located on the engine near the distributor. The vent solenoid is located under the vehicle (on the cross member in front of the spare tire for 4dr, near the gas tank for 2dr - search and you should find illustrations). So no, the tank does not have to be removed to replace either of these valves. My guess in either of your cases, the vent solenoid has sprung a leak.

Now, back to getting help to the original poster!

Quick Reply: 97 Blazer Problems