2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 blazer No Start -- Now with P0300 code too

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Beginning Member
whoareyou4 is on a distinguished road
Default 98 blazer No Start -- Now with P0300 code too

On my way home from work on Monday my Blazer quit running I was on the freeway ... it just shut down nothing.
Pulled over to the shoulder. it would not restart. Turned the key and all I got was a click. The ignition control module was so hot I could barely touch it.
So I towed it home.
I am in the process of checking the connections, I may need to replace my positive cable, there is a lot of crud where it connects to the battery and the cable does not look so good at the 'junction box' underneath the battery. There is a fuse in there and that is good.
Does anyone know of a place to pick up a positive battery cable? I suppose I can just splice in where I need to splice in new connections.
I do suspect the ICM at the coil.
Will the starter still crank if I have a bad ICM?
I will have my son check the ICM if he can at his store.
This is just a weird situation as to why the vehicle would just shut down.
Like I said I am checking connections, checking and cleaning grounds, the battery is good, I suppose the starter could be bad. I may have to pull it this weekend and get it checked.
Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A faulty ICM would not prohibit the starter from turning the engine over.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks Kyle, I did not think so but I just wanted to check. I am sure I have a couple issues going on here.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Beginning Member

I posted on last Monday that my Blazer quit running on the way home, just stopped. When I pulled over the engine would not crank it would just click.
The positive cable was in bad shape so I replaced, i checked all the grounds I could see. I pulled the starter and along with the battery took them into autozone to get them checked and they both checked out fine. So I have a good battery, good starter good connections but it still will not crank.
I think maybe my motor is seized. When I turn the key I can hear the starter engage but the motor does not spin in fact the motor kind of moves not much of course but just a little. I cannot rotate the engine when I put a socket and breaker bar on the pulley nut.

Update ...
Looks like I have cylinders full of fuel. Pulled one plug an gas poured out. Can that be caused by a faulty FPR?

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-24-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: *Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit feature to add more information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Merging threads* - Please keep posts on the same topic together.

A bad FPR or a leak in the spider body itself could dump raw fuel into the plenum.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Beginning Member

I am thinking it is the spider body ... I replace the FPR like 4 years ago but that's just an assumption. So it could be either one or both. Yes there is definitely raw fuel in at least two cylinders on the passenger side. Somehow I got to get it garage to be able to work on it better.
There is a lot fuel in the oil pan.

Is there an upgrade to the spider and injector poppet's it seems to me there is someone who may have posted a thread on it a while back?
If I drain the oil, and resolve the issue do you think my engine is OK yet with all that raw fuel?
Thanks Kyle

Old 07-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Administrator

You can get the MFI spider from the mid-2002+ 4.3L engine which moves the electronic injectors out to the intake runners in place of the poppet nozzles. Much better and more reliable setup than the SCFI spider. Search for "MFI+upgrade" without the quotes and you should find the part numbers, etc.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Beginning Member

So I pulled the upper intake manifold, reconnected the fuel lines and saw that I had fuel pouring out of the FPR or near there. I had another spider assembly, so I put a new FPR on it, and redid the O-rings where the two fuel lines enter the body. Hooked up the fuel lines, pressurized the system looking for leaks, and I don't have any leaks but my fuel pressure only shows like 50. Shouldn't it be at least 60?

Old 08-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Beginning Member
Default 98 Blazer P0300

So I replaced my FPR, I had fuel pouring out out if it into the cylinders and the motor 'seized'
So after I replaced the FPR I hooked up the fuel lines to check fuel pressure and for any leaks. No leaks from the FPR, the body, nor the injectors. The fuel pressure did drop off rather quickly though. I put it all back together because I found no leaks. Somebody apparently had bent the fuel line connectors previously and it was a pain to get them aligned and reconnected and they did want to seat properly. I picked up a used on from the junkyard and it works much better. But again the fuel pressure quickly drops off after the pump stops running so I am suspecting the check valve is leaking.
Any thoughts? I have had multiple issue's pop up here in the last week, the FPR, battery and ground connections, an now I suspect the fuel pump, the check valve anyway. And there is this P0300 code. I need to read through the stuff on that more. Thanks for any advice and assistance.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Fuel pressure is low. I would get the gauge connected up to the fuel filter to see if it still bleeds off as well as how high the pressure goes. If the pressure is still ~50psi and/or it still bleeds off, you have a problem with the pump.

*Merged Threads again* - Just trying to keep it all in one place so people do not go suggesting and/or asking the same things over again. History on a problem is a good thing!

Quick Reply: 98 blazer No Start -- Now with P0300 code too