2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 blazer won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:54 AM
kriscole is on a distinguished road
Default 98 blazer won't start

Ok so we have replaced the timing belt and got it right this time so we have spark, replaced CKP, plugs and wires, pick up coal, rotor and distributor cap. It turns over and acts like it wants to start but it won't. We had the ingintion coal tested and its good. It seems we are getting fuel. The code says PO336 which is the CKP but it's new and we have the reluctor ring back on correctly. Now I am wondering the old CKP is nothing but metal that slides up in the timing chain cover but the new one seems to have plastic around the metal except at the end will that make a difference? The truck has been sitting for 4 months now so i am not sure what else to try and one got ideas?

Last edited by kriscole; 08-29-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kriscole
Ok so we have replaced the timing belt and got it right this time so we have spark,

replaced CKP, plugs and wires, pick up coal, rotor and distributor cap. It turns over and acts like it wants to start but it won't. We had the ingintion coal tested and its good. It seems we are getting fuel. The code says PO336 which is the CKP but it's new and we have the reluctor ring back on correctly. Now I am wondering the old CKP is nothing but metal that slides up in the timing chain cover but the new one seems to have plastic around the metal except at the end will that make a difference? The truck has been sitting for 4 months now so i am not sure what else to try and one got ideas?
When you say you have spark, I assume it means regular, strong and blue.

So you removed and reinstalled distributor, right?
- Distributor off a tooth?
Very common. Line up crank at timing mark and rotor near #1, mark rotor position. Use long screwdriver to reposition oil pump shaft a few deg. Drop dist in

DTC P0336 can be caused by secondary components leaking high voltage into the ignition module. Check for the following conditions:
  • Incorrect harness routing near secondary ignition components.
  • Ignition coil arcing to wiring harness or ignition control module (check ignition coils for cracks, carbon tracking, or other signs of damage).
  • Secondary ignition wire(s) arcing to wiring harness.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Thread Closed - Double Post* - Please keep the discussion in the original thread on this topic to which you have received replies...