Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Is this 98 blazer worth the investment? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/98-blazer-worth-investment-85691/)

rmp219 05-07-2014 05:16 PM

Thanks. Thats good to know. Im a large chevy truck guy. But this is my first small chevy truck.

Any other helpful hints please send my way.

Thanks again too all who gave there input.

I will keep you all updated.

forcedtojoin 05-27-2014 04:29 PM

educated risk...

Originally Posted by rmp219 (Post 626595)
Thanks. Thats good to know. Im a large chevy truck guy. But this is my first small chevy truck.

Any other helpful hints please send my way.

Thanks again too all who gave there input.

I will keep you all updated.

Probably too late to add my 2cents.... but no test drive means there's a pretty big opening for fate to drop a turd on ya. The passlock theft deterrent system and the 4l60e transmission are both very infamous for being lemons. Same goes for the electronic 4x4 system...

I've got a 98 Jimmy which I fell in love with... till the electronic 4x4 went out... then the transmission gave out... then, the climate control blend door ... then the A/C compressor... Then the passlock system went T/U. Just my experience and things I've heard from others of course... but If ya hear a news story about someone torching their 4x4 while screaming maniacal laughter... ... it's probably me. lol

jimi 05-30-2014 01:30 PM

Just out of curiosity, what goes wrong with the 4x4 electronics? My 98 has that pushbutton 4x4 deal, and I hadn't used it since moving out West. The last time I did try to use it (didn't really need to, just for fun on some dirt), I stopped, hit the 4 low button, and it just blinked at me, never engaged.

Jon71 02-25-2015 08:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by rmp219 (Post 626514)
I have a question about a blazer I want to purchase. Its a 1998 Chevy Blazer LS with 145K 4x4 4 door automatic.

Code sensor says it has multiple miss fires and o2 sensor is bad. Gas gauge doesn't work. The seller will sell it to me for $800. Its in really good shape for the year and I don't see any leaks or major issues.

I cant really test drive it. It wont run it jerks and stutters etc. just like spark plug issues. So I'm asking some advise from the professionals here as to would you buy it or not.

I think it could be an easy fix, but am I missing something on these SUVs that could make me loose big. I'm willing to take a chance for the price because it seems reasonable.

I'm buying from a women who is getting a divorce and doesn't care about the car and wants it gone.

I think that's enough history to get some advice.
thanks for everyone's input.

Hi all, I'm new here and trying to find out if a 2001 Blazer with a high 185,000 miles on it is worth 1500? Or is it just a headache I'm buying? I thought this might be a good place to ask. Owner says all good, no CEL, little rust, but that high miles worries me. I just need something I can take the kids in to the Adirondacks and it's gonna be safe and get us all back home again! I had a Subaru Forester and the head gasket went to the tune of $4000 in repairs which I'm not doing!! https://blazerforum.com/forum/attach...ine=1424873461Hoping for better results this time. Thanks for anything you can advise me!!

LesMyer 02-25-2015 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jon71 (Post 644841)
Hi all, I'm new here and trying to find out if a 2001 Blazer with a high 185,000 miles on it is worth 1500? Or is it just a headache I'm buying? I thought this might be a good place to ask. Owner says all good, no CEL, little rust, but that high miles worries me. I just need something I can take the kids in to the Adirondacks and it's gonna be safe and get us all back home again! I had a Subaru Forester and the head gasket went to the tune of $4000 in repairs which I'm not doing!! https://blazerforum.com/forum/attach...ine=1424873461Hoping for better results this time. Thanks for anything you can advise me!!

Probably should start a new thread and ask your question there.

I paid $5100 for my pristine body/interior 65K mile 2001 and ended up putting another $3000 into it to fix the engine but I didn't do my homework when buying. Any used cartruck can be great or they can be a big headache that someone has traded in or simply wants to get rid of. Your job is to figure out which before buying. In addition to the normal vehicle checks during driving, I would run a scan for codes on any vehicle that I was potentialy buying and reject it if there are any codes stored, current or past. My huge mistake was not recognizing that the SES light had been disconnected on mine before the PO traded for a new car. Of course, with a 4WD, make sure the transfer case shifts between all the conditions.