2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Jimmy starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 03:12 PM
mamadukes is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks rockp2...I will try that....I was also speaking to a guy that does reprogramming of the ignitions etc....we have used him several times to make keys for vehicles that we buy at an impound sale etc...he is sayin that it is a problem with the MRD system; idk; he said that they are notorious for 'coming unplugged' and it is supposed to be located on the steering column somewhere; it is a 3 prong plug in piece; I need to know if someone can post on here like a pic or somethin to let me know exactly where that plug in is located so i can check it too; but he is sayin that if it IS plugged in then that means the MRD system is bad and i will basically have to replace the whole steering column because it is 'inside' the steering column and isn't a replaceable part without replacing the whole steering column; anybody know anything about what this guy is talkin about, and maybe can explain it to me in 'layman's' terms so i can understand just what the heck he is talkin about lol; and i am probably gonna see if i can get a ride over there to check on resetting the key that way while i am there;

Old 02-22-2014, 03:18 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Let us know if the Passlock relearn works for you.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The sensor is extremely sensitive and it can fail without warning. The entire column does not need to be replaced. The sensor is part of the housing that the ignition lock cylinder fits into, and it can be replaced seperately. There is a connector on the sensor with 3 wires: Yellow, orange with a black stripe, & red with a white stripe. On some of the GM vehicles, the housing is available aftermarket. I did not find any aftermarket listings for 1998, which means dealer only. Replacement is not difficult and takes less than 1.5 hours. I seem to remember the part cost being ~$100.00 Definitely worth trying the relearn.

You might find this interesting. I have no personal experience with this on Passlock systems, although in theory, it should work. There is a similar procedure that works very well on older Passkey, (1 & 2) systems. Try it at your own risk, How To Permanently Disable GM PassLock System

Old 02-28-2014, 11:00 AM

Well here's the story...I tried the factory relearn to no avail; i sent it to a mechanic to be diagnosed; they call and ask if i have any other keys; i tell them that the only keys i have are the two that i gave them with the vehicle; he tries to do a relearn with the other key, and voila...it started....apparently the keys are so worn down that it wasn't letting the magnet go far enough or somethin about it was trying to tell the computer that the vehicle was 'being stolen' so it was disabling the fuel injectors; problem solved...I have to take it to the dealer the mechanic said and have them cut a key from the VIN; then I am going to get another key made off THAT one cause he says that it's just a matter of time before this one quits working too because apparently it is worn too but it was at least able to relearn; so thank you to everybody that tried to help me on this situation; just too bad I spent all that money on fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel filter, etc. and all it was was the freakin key lol; just glad to have my beast up and runnin again...again thank you thank you thank you to all who tried to help me in this situation!! Have a wonderful day!!

Old 02-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Thanks for posting a follow up! It's good to know so we can help others that may have the same issue.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:53 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mamadukes
he tries to do a relearn with the other key, and voila...it started....
Yes, thank you for the update. Just to be sure i understand...the mechanic started it with the other key before or after a relearn with that key? Was the relearn necessary or just using the other key was enough?

Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 PM

No he had to do a relearn; we had no idea that one key was bad or whatever because we tried to use both keys to try and start it but it didn't work; when i took it up to the mechanic to have it diagnosed, he called and asked if i had any other keys; i didn't so then he calls and says he got it started!! He done a relearn on the one key, didn't work; done it with the other key and it worked!! Idk but he said something about that the keys I had are worn down and apparently the one key wasn't pushing the 'magnet' so it was giving the vehicle the signal that it was 'being stolen' so it was disabling the injectors; I went to the GM dealer today and paid 16 dollars for a key made off the VIN; and there IS a little bit of a difference between the key i already had and the new one; but the new one works like a charm...mechanic suggested i get that done because even with the one key that i had that DID work, it is worn some too and just a matter of time before it quits working; so i went today and got a new key made and i will probably put the other key up for a 'just in case' thing but i doubt it; im going to the local hardware store tomorrow or may wait idk yet to get a second 'good' key made; but yes they did a relearn on BOTH keys and only one relearn worked idk but im just glad my beast is up and running again!! Thanks to everyone on here who gave me different suggestions about the security thing; i spent all that money on new fuel pump, filter, etc etc. and it wasn't even none of that...it was the key the whole time.....hmmmm just thought i would share!!