2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Stalling Problem When Warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Beginning Member
copper_eyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 Stalling Problem When Warm

My 98 just started acting up. Started spitting and sputtering and then stalled. After a few minutes of cool down, it started up ran fine before repeating this same thing about 15 minutes later. Checked the fuel pump at all instances, pressure reads 53psi no matter what what is happening. Checked the coil and the icm and still does it. Any help is appreciated.

UPDATE: My mechanic that I bring my work that I don't do to took another look at it today, and could not recreate the stalling. It stalled for him all afternoon yesterday. We are both puzzled and another mechanic is just as puzzled. Any ideas, thoughts, or even similar issues solved would be great! Thanks

Last edited by copper_eyes; 04-29-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:36 PM
firechief70 is on a distinguished road

have the same problem and no one has a clue. wont do it all winter but the min it reaches 65 can drive like 30min then it stalls. wait 30-40min starts up and can go like another 10miles. if you got any thuings to try please let me know. THANKS!!!

Old 05-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Same response I gave to you, firechief, in your thread on your problem... You might want to check for replies to your thread before making comments such as you have. Doesn't do well for your rep.

These symptoms are indicative of something in the ignition system overheating. Coil and ICM can cause these symptoms.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:58 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

sounds like ignition switch to me. i kind of had the same problem, if it was hot and the sun was baking my truck it didnt like to start and sometimes it would randomly die. replacing the ignition switch solved this. over time contacts get worn out and i guess they dont like heat.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:58 PM
firechief70 is on a distinguished road

Sorry swartlkk I didn't mean you or this web site. Ment the garages I have talk to. No disrespect. Sorry again.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Beginning Member
mcdon26 is on a distinguished road

I just finished solving this problem. I replaced an s load of items prior to figuring out it was the fuel pump. This long list of items included fuel pump relay, ignition control module (and cleaned the heat sink), catalytic converter, muffler, ignition coil, cleaned MAF sensor. Non of these fixed it for me.

My symptoms were as follows. No problems in winter, anytime the temp would rise above 75-80 degrees I would get either a running failure, slowly sputtering and every time I would give it more gas, it would want to stall. Had to keep backing off of the gas pedal to stay running until eventually it died. If I waited it would restart but wouldn't run well. Other times it would run fine, I would get to my destination and if I tried to restart it wouldn't. I bought a fuel pressure gauge and hooked it up to the Schrader valve and ran around with it facing the windshield so I could monitor the fuel pressure. Normal Specs are about 55-65 psi. Mine was running at about 58 or slightly below. I had finally got a failure and the fuel pressure dropped to about 10psi and during cranking would only get to about 20 psi. I replaced the fuel pump and have taken 2 200 mile trips during 80 degree weather and have not had an issue. One thing to note is the new pump have a new wiring harness. Supposedly the old harness was/is vibrating slightly loose causing overheating and small arcing issues which fouled the contacts. I had to splice in the connectors. This problem has plagued me for over a year and every mechanic I talked to said it couldn't be the fuel pump because when they go they just go. No one would guarantee the fuel pump would fix it. I hated this problem, and it cost me way too much money fixing uneeded parts before finding out exactly what needed to be replaced. Please test your fuel pressure with a gauge before changing out the parts. run around with a $40.00 gauge until you get a failure will save you loads of money in the long run.

I took a few videos trying to diagnose this problem and posted them on you tube if your interested. Click here to check them out

I also just got finished ripping open the upper plenum and replacing all the old style injector poppets and spider assembly. Like a new truck with better gas mileage and better throttle response.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Beginning Member

I wish my problem was this simple. My guy that I take work to when I can't do it or don't have time to do it checked the fuel pressure at all time and the fuel pressure stayed the same, whether it was running fine, or when it stalled and wouldn't start. Since I first had this issue, it has ran fine. Until today. It has sat a couple days and when I went to leave for work, it will not start. We have had a lot of rain here in MA this weekend and more on the way and I am sure this is a factor. I have not had a chance to properly diagnose, but did check the coil for spark and I do have it although it looks like it may be a weak spark.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Beginning Member

My bad Copper Eyes, I misread that fuel pressure stayed the same when you were stalled. Hopefully my experience can help firechief.

I'm assuming you are getting no codes? Throughout all of my research into my problem, I've been told a bad or weak coil can cause a no start problem and not register any codes. Based on your experience you are getting correct fuel pressure ( although I would say 53 is kinda low) have you done a leak down test. leave the pressure gauge hooked up try and start and turn off. Does the fuel pressure stay constant or does it drop over time, if it does drop, how much over what period? if you have no leak down and consistent albeit a somewhat low (53psi) fuel pressure I think you are looking at one of three things, Ignition control Module, Ignition Coil (both on the same bracket to the left of the upper intake) or the ignition switch as mentioned before. The ignition switch is located in the steering column.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Beginning Member

I have a proposition for you, I dont know what your financial situation is so I will make you an offer, I will send you a known good coil and ICM you can use to test out and see if either are your issue if you promise to send them back.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Beginning Member

It's not a coil or icm problem. With a new coil and icm it still does it. It hasn't done it since my original post until today. I am as stumped as a person can get. It does seem like a fuel issue, but I am not sure. It stalled on me driving down the road and wouldn't start at all. This was at 8:00PM EST. It is at the garage to be looked at. I will let you all know. If someone has had this issue and has any suggestions, please let me know! Thanks

Quick Reply: 98 Stalling Problem When Warm