2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Jimmy Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 04:50 PM
litlmeal is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by litlmeal
Thats only at the service port. I will have to check pressure at filter in the next few days
At fuel filter i have 85 psi and drops down to 65 psi after 10 minutes

Old 01-14-2016, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by litlmeal
At fuel filter i have 85 psi and drops down to 65 psi after 10 minutes
Also could a bad BCM be part of my issues as i noticed now that the security light stays on steady on dash and interior lights stay on unless the override switch on dash is pushed

Old 01-14-2016, 07:22 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Regulated fuel pressure at 64psi, (spec is 60psi to 66psi) no problem there.
Pump maximum output at 85psi, (spec is 73psi to 108psi) no problem there.
10 minute leakdown at the pump is 65psi, (must remain above 55psi) no problem there.
10 minute leakdown at the service port is 50psi, (must remain above 55psi). Possibly a slight issue.

The pump leaks down to 65psi, which means the remainder of the leakdown, (to 50psi) is in the plenum. The fact that it stops leaking down, pretty much rules out a partially stuck open injector or leaky spider line. I would suspect the valve plate in the fuel pressure regulator is having difficulty sealing for some odd reason. There is a way to test it, however, "technically" leakdown is a problem, but it's not going to cause a no-start or no-run situation. Very doubtful it would cause any noticeable driveability issues. It might cause slightly longer crank times to get her running, but that's about it.

In regards to the BCM... Passlock on 1999 disables the fuel pump if it detects a "theft situation". Simple way to see if this is the issue, is to apply battery voltage to the fuel pump prime terminal in the underhood fuse panel, and fire it up. If it continues to run, there's the problem.

Attached Thumbnails 99 Jimmy Wont start-dsc_0154-copy-1.jpg  
Old 01-14-2016, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
10 minute leakdown at the pump is 65psi, (must remain above 55psi) no problem there.
10 minute leakdown at the service port is 50psi, (must remain above 55psi). Possibly a slight issue.

The pump leaks down to 65psi, which means the remainder of the leakdown, (to 50psi) is in the plenum. The fact that it stops leaking down, pretty much rules out a partially stuck open injector or leaky spider line. I would suspect the valve plate in the fuel pressure regulator is having difficulty sealing for some odd reason. There is a way to test it, however, "technically" leakdown is a problem, but it's not going to cause a no-start or no-run situation. Very doubtful it would cause any noticeable driveability issues. It might cause slightly longer crank times to get her running, but that's about it.

In regards to the BCM... Passlock on 1999 disables the fuel pump if it detects a "theft situation". Simple way to see if this is the issue, is to apply battery voltage to the fuel pump prime terminal in the underhood fuse panel, and fire it up. If it continues to run, there's the problem.

Applied power to the pump prime terminal and still no start. So is the next step to pull plenum off and check injector?

Old 01-14-2016, 08:15 PM

I was also just thinking i remeber that the plug #1 was wet with fuel when i had removed it to find tdc

Old 01-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

How old is the fuel in this thing? Does it smell old? What brand and part number are on the spark plugs? What are they gapped at? Plugs being wet... could be flooded. Have you tried holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking? Doing that shuts off the injectors until the engine starts.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:45 PM

[QUOTE=Captain Hook;660049]How old is the fuel in this thing? Does it smell old? What brand and part number are on the spark plugs? What are they gapped at? Plugs being wet... could be flooded. Have you tried holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking? Doing that shuts off the injectors until the engine starts.[/

I put some fuel in bottle off of the fuel pressure tester and didnt look or smell extremely old. I don't remember brand they are and havent checked gap . yes have held pedal to floor while cranking and that is when it trys to fire over the most. It almost seems like it may be getting hydro locked at some point. I will have to pull all plugs and check gap and clean them or replace them all

Old 01-14-2016, 09:06 PM

While you have the plugs out, remove the fuel pump relay and unplug the ignition coil connector, then crank it over for ~4 or 5 seconds to clear the cylinders out. AC Delco 41-993 plugs with .060" gap.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:52 PM

While you have the plugs out, remove the fuel pump relay and unplug the ignition coil connector, then crank it over for ~4 or 5 seconds to clear the cylinders out. AC Delco 41-993 plugs with .060" gap.
Replaced the plugs with new ac delco as the previous owner had put cheap champions in.. Still no run

Old 01-17-2016, 03:16 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Just checking, but you have reconnected the ignition module correct? I umm, know SOME people overlook things like that. Never happens to me though!!! ( I wish...)

Quick Reply: 99 Jimmy Wont start