2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS kicks in under 5 mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 05:10 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road
Default ABS kicks in under 5 mph

Hey all!
Posting my very first issue with my 2003 2wd standard cab 4.3 manual transmission S10.
When coming to a stop, once I've slowed to less than 5 mph, the ABS is activated on the front drivers side. Research indicates that the ABS sensor is likely the issue. However, I've never dealt with this particular problem before so I wanted to get everyone's input on what brand to use or avoid, as well as any pointers or tips regarding the procedure.
YouTube videos have been somewhat helpful. The job seems pretty straightforward. Just wasn't able to gather much data on brands and so forth.
As always, thanks for your time and attention. 👍😁

Old 01-18-2020, 08:34 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
Hey all!
Posting my very first issue with my 2003 2wd standard cab 4.3 manual transmission S10.
When coming to a stop, once I've slowed to less than 5 mph, the ABS is activated on the front drivers side. Research indicates that the ABS sensor is likely the issue. However, I've never dealt with this particular problem before so I wanted to get everyone's input on what brand to use or avoid, as well as any pointers or tips regarding the procedure.
YouTube videos have been somewhat helpful. The job seems pretty straightforward. Just wasn't able to gather much data on brands and so forth.
As always, thanks for your time and attention. 👍😁
that was the first repair I ever did on my Blazer. Rust gets underneath the sensors where they mount on the wheel bearings. On mine I was able to remove the sensors and carefully plug the hole with paper towel without pushing junk inside the bearing. Then I cleaned up all the rust and applied an anti-rust gun grease (called RIG) to the rusted surfaces and reinstalled the same sensors. Cost = zero. Has been fine for over 4 years. Alternatively, you can replace the sensors or even wheel bearings.

Old 01-18-2020, 09:43 AM

That's probably what I'm going to do. I have the sensors with new backing plates priced just below $50. Wasn't going to mess with the bearings since they seem fine.
Thanks Les.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:16 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
That's probably what I'm going to do. I have the sensors with new backing plates priced just below $50. Wasn't going to mess with the bearings since they seem fine.
Thanks Les.
that will work! Just make sure not to knock anything into the hole into the bearing when changing them and you still need to scrape the rust off of the sensor mounting surface and apply some sort of rust inhibitor. Best wishes for a successful repair!

Old 01-27-2020, 01:37 AM

Ok so I went ahead and bought new parts for both sides , as they are 17 years old and safety items. Came to my doorstep in under a week for $48.30, thank you Rock Auto.
Everything went smoothly EXCEPT those bolts that hold the wire clip up against the inside of the upper control arm would do nothing but spin and spin. Exactly how the hell you're supposed to get a tool inside there to hold the bolt while you turn the nut is one of those wonderful GM engineering feats only accomplished by a full trained Jedi. Anyhow, all else went well and she functions flawlessly again.
What's that, you ask? What did I do about those damned bolts? Well I'm glad you asked. Pull up a chair and lean in.
First, I had to cut the wire on the old sensor to pull it through the clip. Wouldn't very well come through there with the plug end still attached haha. Then, just ran the new wire through the same route but didn't bother with that clip. Skipped it. But did make sure to mount the plugged in parts back onto the frame where I pulled them from. I probably could have cut the old bolts out or possibly just drilled new holes to mount the new clip but it seemed trivial. With it being mostly hidden inside the control arm I doubt much harm could come to it.
Anyhow thanks for reading my rambling and thanks for your input.
Have a good one!

Old 01-29-2020, 04:06 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Thanks for this, my parents jimmy does the same thing, as well as my blazer. Will do this when I put her back on the road in March. Got a list for the tune up and got a lot of overtime to pull in by then