2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:10 PM
metalhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS Question

my abs light comes on and offperiodacly and has only started since we've been getting snow... i've been told that it's a problem with the sensors on the wheels malfunctioning when ice builds upbetweenthem and the wheels or dirt or whatever.. my question is... can i pull my fuse out for myABS.. i've done this without any problems on all my prior vehicles and never had any problems.. but i've heard it causes more problems on some vehicles... and seeing as we're getting dumped on here lately and the fact that ihate ABS in the first place.. nothing worse than pulling out of a snow coveredparking lot with adowngrade and a car in front of you stopped.. only to put your foot on the brake and find it jammed top high andthen sliding towards the car.. lol

also i was wondering what the best size tires for my2000Blazer would be forsnow andmud he he.. and for the best price.. not looking to spend alot on them either... THXand also what is the biggest (sensible) tires you can fit on a stock 2000 Blazer without any modifications.. and THX again lol

Old 01-30-2007, 04:55 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: ABS Question

If you pull your ABS fuse you will still have your base brakes, just no ABS function...and probably no cruise control.

Someone else needs to give you an opinion on tire size, I have full size Blazers.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

Pull the fuse and find out. Mechanically there's no penalty; you're just defeating a safety feature.

Just realize that in the situation you describe, you're a lot more likely to hit the car you're sliding toward without ABS than you are with ABS. I've been driving for 40 years in all kinds of weather and road conditions, I'm race-competent, and I'm still better off with ABS functioning on my vehicles. (Exception being track use - I'd rather not have it there.)

Old 02-03-2007, 07:37 AM

sorry it took so long to reply.. just got a new cpu and i've been formating and reinstallin crap for the past couple of days... can anyone else here confirm that i will lose cruise control..?? as i don't want to losethat... but no suggestions on tires from anyone..??? who here owns a 2000 blazer if i might ask..???

Old 02-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no way you have ice build up causing your problem, because all the sensors and rings are enclosed. If you did have that problem you would have bad wheel bearings on the front, and for the rear sensor the t-case would be full of water. If you pull the fuse yous ABS light will be on all the time. So do you want it on sometimes or all the time? Your best bet is get it scanned and see what the code is and just fix the problem, Korey.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:33 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 2000 S10-Blazer4x4x4.
My tires are 30" BFG All-Terrains and they do great in the snow. About the only terrain they dont do well in is deep mud. I paid $125 per tire. Plus installation costs. 30" is the biggest you can go without rub on the factory wheels.

The ABS light is telling you the ABS system has been deactivated.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:12 PM

well we had a light snowfall here tonight.. just a couple of centimetres... and as i got to the bottom of my road (a small hill/downgrade lane) as soon as i touched the brake pedal.. it locked up solid top high (the pedal i mean) and i could hear a humming/motor sound coming from the driver side under the hood.. while the pedal stays locked top high.. and it seems like the only the front tires are braking.. it took me almost a 100ft tostop.. and i was only doing about 10-15kmh.. very unsafe.. when the ABS light is on i can stop fine in any conditions.. as for the ABS dashlight being on.. i couldn't care less aboutit being on all the time.. but i'd rather not lose my cruise control...i know on our old 92 sunbirdwe just pulled the plugs from the master cylinder..could i do the same with my Blazer or would i still lose cruise control.. or would i lose something else.. or maybe cause more problems..??? and THX to all for the replys

Old 02-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

Well just pull the fuse and see if the cruise stops working. Personally I would see about getting it fixed or at least what is causing the problem and fix it yourself. If it is jamming at the top something serious is going on, because when my ABS kicks in it still travels the same amount, just you can hear the ABS doing its thing, and the pedal pulses a little. Korey.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:15 AM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point

My ABS had a run in with a pair of wire cutters to the two front wheel sensor wires 2 days after I bought my truck. It was an awful thing to see. The sight of my hand grasping those snips and cutting as fast as I could would make any ABS lover cry. It was either the ABS with that God for saken grrawl and pedal pulse goes or the truck was going. I kept the truck.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:56 AM

ok an update for all...well finaly got the used car dealer to put the truck in the shop and check the brakes yesterday.. told the mechanic about the problems and he said that it didn't sound like it was an ABS issue (lol).. my girlfreind picked up the truck that afternoon and they said the right front speed sensor was gone and that they're not cheap so he disabled the ABS.. when the girlfreind got home i went out to check out the brakes to find that all they did was pull the plug from the master cylinder like i was going to do lol.. so i phoned the dealer we bought it from and told him that seeing as the truck was bought less than 30 days ago it should be fixed and he agreed so the truck is goin to the garage again tuesday.. will let everyone know if it fixes the ABS issue.. and THX again all

Quick Reply: ABS Question