Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Battery light and one other question (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/battery-light-one-other-question-86198/)

crater22 06-18-2014 02:40 PM

Battery light and one other question

First, I hope this is in the right section....

2003 Blazer, 6 cyl, 2wd.

First question sounds kinda of stupid, but I do not have an owners manual and was wondering what is Delco Loc II audio system and how do I tell if I have one?

Second and more important. After sitting all winter, and except for starting a few times by jumping from another car, just to keep things moving, I replaced the battery, serpitine belt, and alternator. Everything is fine, except now but my battery light is coming on. It seems to stay on for 5 seconds, and then off for three seconds, and back and forth like that.

What could that be? Could the computer just be re-setting?

Greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Captain Hook 06-18-2014 05:04 PM

After sitting for an extended period of time without being run, corrosion can build up on the armature and brushes. It might clear up on its own after running for a while. If not, you'll likely need an new, used, or remanufactured alternator. You can try taking it apart and cleaning it up with very fine sandpaper. Be careful taking it apart cuz springs and pieces go flying, which makes re-assembly kind of tricky. If you're not comfortable taking it apart, get another alternator;)

crater22 06-18-2014 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook (Post 629345)
After sitting for an extended period of time without being run, corrosion can build up on the armature and brushes. It might clear up on its own after running for a while. If not, you'll likely need an new, used, or remanufactured alternator. You can try taking it apart and cleaning it up with very fine sandpaper. Be careful taking it apart cuz springs and pieces go flying, which makes re-assembly kind of tricky. If you're not comfortable taking it apart, get another alternator;)

Actually, I did replace with a brand new alternator, along with a new belt and new battery...I could tell the old alt was shot....

Captain Hook 06-18-2014 07:48 PM

Did that cure the problem?

crater22 06-19-2014 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook (Post 629363)
Did that cure the problem?

Yes it solved the problem of starting and stay running, but like I mentioned in my post, this is when the battery light started to stay on, then go off, back on, then off. It did not have this problem with the light until after I put the new parts on...

Thanks for helping..

burned 06-19-2014 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by crater22 (Post 629391)
Yes it solved the problem of starting and stay running, but like I mentioned in my post, this is when the battery light started to stay on, then go off, back on, then off. It did not have this problem with the light until after I put the new parts on...

Thanks for helping..

Take the alternator back and get it bench tested. Sounds like the voltage regulator is flaky

crater22 06-20-2014 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by burned (Post 629407)
Take the alternator back and get it bench tested. Sounds like the voltage regulator is flaky

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there anyway I can test it without removing it and taking it back to the store? Also, I do not trust it yet enough to drive it 20 miles. It's all country roads and you can not get cell phone service out here in case it breaks down/stops running...

Thanks again.

LannyL81 06-20-2014 03:41 PM

Do you have a DMM or volt meter? The alternator output voltage can be measured to see if it is varying.

However would also suggest checking the battery cables for corrosion. Peel back the plastic boots and look at the cable to plate connection. Also check the other end of each cable for tightness...and the cable itself in case something chewed it.

Captain Hook 06-20-2014 03:52 PM

As LannyL81 mentioned, you can check regulated voltage with a DMM or voltmeter. It should be 14.2 volts at 1500rpm, with all accessories turned off. Amperage output needs to be tested as well, but a DMM is not capable of testing it, unless it's a high $ DMM. The testers in the auto parts stores are not 100% reliable, but usually it's better than no test at all;) It is possible for an alternator to have normal output voltage, but low or erratic amperage output.