Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Best fuel pump ? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/best-fuel-pump-61811/)

Gomli 08-05-2011 07:19 AM

Best fuel pump ?

Hey guys,

I've been able to find out that my fuel pump is causing the issues I've been having. But this is the 3rd one I put in, can you guys recommend any known really good pumps ? Or should I just get a OEM one from a parts dealer ?

Cheers,
Jo !

swartlkk 08-05-2011 07:28 AM

AC Delco! Doesn't have to come from the dealer though.

pettyfog 08-05-2011 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gomli (Post 450733)
Hey guys,

I've been able to find out that my fuel pump is causing the issues I've been having. But this is the 3rd one I put in, can you guys recommend any known really good pumps ? Or should I just get a OEM one from a parts dealer ?

AC Delco.. but

I think you should think about more than just that. How many miles did truck have on it at first fail? Miles on next fails?
Besides the fact that the high pressure design leads to substandard quality for replacements, there is probably something else contributing.

HAs the tank been cleaned? Wonder how many mechs pull out the original, find the sock absolutely clogged, shrug and stick another one in.

Where do you buy your gas?
1. Gas is NOT all the same
2. Stations are NOT all the same, especially franchise stations, sorry to say.

Gomli 08-05-2011 08:42 AM

The tank was replaced about 2 years ago, so were the fuel lines. I changed the pump once by a mechanic, but then 2 weeks after it didn't work, so he said he changed it again. Most likely he didn't lol Probably just banged it with a hammer and got it to turn again.

So now I figured I will get a good pump and change it myself. I read somewhere that changing the wire harness for fuel pump would help, is that also considered the sending unit, or are those 2 different things ?

Thanks !
Jo

chris015 08-05-2011 11:02 AM

Alright. I bet they replaced it with either a carter or airtex pump,which are horrible in these cars. You need to stay ONLY with ac delco or delphi. Ive had this same issues with my 91/ purchased a airtex and went through 4 of them in a very short term. finally forked out the money for a ac delco and ive had no problem since.

xgiovannix12 08-05-2011 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by chris015 (Post 450763)
Alright. I bet they replaced it with either a carter or airtex pump,which are horrible in these cars. You need to stay ONLY with ac delco or delphi. Ive had this same issues with my 91/ purchased a airtex and went through 4 of them in a very short term. finally forked out the money for a ac delco and ive had no problem since.

I agree i only bought 1 airtex pump and never again

Gomli 08-05-2011 12:45 PM

Perfect ! Thanks guys, once again you've been very helpful !

Cheers,
Jo

07nhbpsi 08-05-2011 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by chris015 (Post 450763)

ok i know airtex is garbage but, what wrong with carter pumps? That's who makes the pumps for napa....have 1 in my blazer.............

chris015 08-06-2011 04:26 AM

I personally have not used Carter pumps,but from several friends and I noticed other people on the boards they are a hit and a miss. Ive just learned that buying cheap pumps is a no no.

pettyfog 08-06-2011 12:12 PM

This whole continuing theme is way scary to me, a Ford guy with his first GM in decades.. but I have a compulsive disorder that leads me to solve problems or at least determine reason WHY there is a problem!!!
It's not the number of failures on here scares me, it's the number of repeated failures for a given user!

First. AGAIN.. AC Delco, PERIOD. Advance auto has them for $388 in my area. What do you want.. replace every year to save a hundred bucks?

B. We are the unfortunate victims of a GM fuel delivery design that tests limits of capabilites for economical factory FI systems. Looks like 40 lb systems {like Bosch designed them in the first place{?} are still the hands-down reliability winner.

III Aftermarket SUX in supplying marginal performance systems.
Airtex is a division of UCI, as is Wells Auto electronics.. infamous for supplying 'fail at warranty plus 1' replacement for Ford factory components. Google TFI and wells
- and airtex fuel senders SUCK across the board. Bought an assy for my MN12 tbird, against advice of others. I reckon the pump will do alright at least till I find a Bosch or Walbro pump alone to replce the original 180 kmile Walbro. But the sender works in1/8 tank increments and cannot be trusted for 'low fuel point'. I am far from the only one complains about that.

4. Speaking of that.. notice what big names are NOT available for this application?
Bosch, Denso, Walbro...
Why? IMO because of the 60 lb running pressure. Delivery at N gallons per hr at X pressure is fine for racing apps.. not for thousands of running hours at that pressure.

S10 forum has several threads on using the Walbro 255 to rebuild stock assy, with mixed results. Note if you DO use a bosch or Walbro make sure the flex tubing is suitable for immersed application. Just fuel line will NOT do, they will split.

Even some Toyota forums have threads on Walbro assy rebuild. So the fact that Walbro aint interested in the 4.3L applications tells me a helluva lot. And when you look at Denso's site you see the assy's are in product line.. and where to buy, you come up with advance auto. But when you look on Advance's site, you dont see them.. only Airtex and AC Delco.

Wonder why.. maybe Advance doesnt make anything on them.. or too high return rate.