2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer Died on Freeway - Bad Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Cool! Thanks for posting back.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Starting Member
phxjosh is on a distinguished road

My blinkers aren't working now, I think it's related to me not having a switch for the hazzards and shoving my key in there to turn on the hazzards. I am going to mess with it today and see if I can get it fixed, otherwise it's hand signals for now lol

Old 10-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Sticking the key in there probably shorted it out and popped the fuse. You can replace the hazzard switch separately, you don't need to replace the entire multifunction switch.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Sticking the key in there probably shorted it out and popped the fuse. You can replace the hazzard switch separately, you don't need to replace the entire multifunction switch.
Where is the fuse? Would it be for just the hazzards or would it be the fuse for the blinkers? I was worried it was the entire blinker switch which is a $175 part from what I saw.

Thanks for all your help through this, I hate paying a mechanic to do this type of stuff when it can be done myself and I learn a thing or two about these trucks.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:10 PM

On second thought... this says it fits 98-05 only: Dorman Products - Search Results

If yours looks like this, it might be worth a try, (it just pulls straight up out of the multifunction switch). If not, you'll have to get the entire multifunction switch.

Best to check all of the fuses, in both fuse panels, with the ignition in the RUN position. Without removing the fuses, check both terminals on the top of each fuse with a voltmeter or test light.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
On second thought... this says it fits 98-05 only: Dorman Products - Search Results

If yours looks like this, it might be worth a try, (it just pulls straight up out of the multifunction switch). If not, you'll have to get the entire multifunction switch.

Best to check all of the fuses, in both fuse panels, with the ignition in the RUN position. Without removing the fuses, check both terminals on the top of each fuse with a voltmeter or test light.
Mine was nothing more than a clearish orange piece of plastic, it had a little slit of plastic that went down into the switch, nothing like the one posted. I think it may be a fuse issue, the hazzards worked fine when it died so I dont know what happeend.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by phxjosh
Where is the fuse? Would it be for just the hazzards or would it be the fuse for the blinkers? I was worried it was the entire blinker switch which is a $175 part from what I saw.

Thanks for all your help through this, I hate paying a mechanic to do this type of stuff when it can be done myself and I learn a thing or two about these trucks.
175? holy poo. i can get you one from the yard for 60 bucks lol.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by chris015
175? holy poo. i can get you one from the yard for 60 bucks lol.
Well that was the new price from Napa, I ended up fixing it last night though it was just a matter of having the little metal pieces touch the right way so I could get brake lights and blinkers.

I ended up putting a Delphi fuel pump in it because I could not find an AC Delco in stock, from what I read online they're pretty much the same company, is that right?

Old 10-04-2013, 11:34 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

yep,delphi is good as delco.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Starting Member

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I am having another issue related to my initial problem that was posted in this thread.

So I have been driving on the new fuel pump for about a month now, I won't let it drop below 1/3 of a tank just to be safe on the pump but the last week it has been sputtering and slightly misfiring when accelerating from a stop.

I did some searching around on here and every thread seems to point to fuel pressure, should I do another pressure test first or could this be something as simple as a ERG valve needing to be cleaned or new spark plugs or wiring?

I have a "Service Engine Soon" light that just came on while driving home from work today as well, most likely related im going to run the codes today.

Quick Reply: Blazer Died on Freeway - Bad Alternator?