2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

bleeding brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:43 PM
suoabb is on a distinguished road
Default bleeding brake

noob here,
my brother has a 96 blazer 4 wheel drive sedan w/abs.
last week i decided to do his maintence for him, since he hasn't done one since he got it other than oil changes and those stuffs.
i changed his spark plugs, spark plugs wires, dis. roter and cap.
and i also wanted to change his front brake and bleed his brake fluids, (he said he hasn't changed his brakes since he got the car, over 10yrs ago. wow)

well i took the front tires/rotor out and attempt to bleed the brake fluid with the rotor out and well the piston on the calipers shoot out and brake fluid leaked out on both caliper draining all the fluid out of the resover. i went to autozone to get 2 rebuilt calipers
i went to bleed all the brakes by loosening all the bleeder bolt on all four wheel. then after fluid has been dripping out of the bolt for while, i when ahead and had my brother push on the brake when i loosen the bolt and then tighten it, to get all the air out.
i did it to all four side, with the new brake rotors/pad on.
now the front brake seem to be okay but it doesn't grab in the rear.
the rear brake hasn't been changed for since he go it. but it didn't cause him any problems before i try to change the brakes.

this car have abs and on top of the abs box near master cylinder, i knowtice two bleeder bolt, so i was wondering if i need to bleed this part too? cause i knowtice that the brake lines is connected btwn the master cylinder and the abs box, and am thinking that there is air in that abs box.
my bro. took it to mech. and they told him to take it to the dealer.

i hope someone can help me out, i feel really bad i cause this problem for him. he had to change his abs a while ago and it cost him like 2g.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You likely have an air locked master cylinder. Since the reservoir emptied itself, it is very likely that air got in and now cannot get out. It is very difficult to bleed out the air from a master cylinder from the calipers. You need to make up short lines to go from the master cylinder outlets back into the reservoir such that the ends inside the reservoir are under the fluid level. Pump the brake pedal a number of times until you do not see much of a movement in the level inside the reservoir.

If that is not the case, then you could have locked the proportioning valve which may just take a bit to unlock.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Renthorin is on a distinguished road

Kyle, can you use flexible line or do you need to bend solid line?

Is there any difference between going back into the master cylinder or just going into a container full of brake fluid?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Most master cylinders come with plastic plugs and clear plastic lines to bench bleed them. I use a short piece of hardline so I can make sure that it does not leak at the threaded connection. I just bend it around so the other end is below the liquid line in the res. You do not want it to draw air back in when the plunger pulls back.