Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Body Mount Fell Off!! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/body-mount-fell-off-61954/)

lionel2 08-09-2011 02:52 PM

Body Mount Fell Off!!

Hello, I found a broken off body mount sitting in my driveway today. It is from the driver's side door under neath by the front wheel. The bolt was rusted out. I took the blazer to the body shop and they estimated $200 to fix it. They have to loosen the other body mounts to get at the broken one. And lift the body up to drill it out or something. Is that the right way to fix a broken body mount?? What if some of the other body mounts break off too?? They are pretty rusty those mounts. Any ideas? Let me know. Thanks.

swartlkk 08-09-2011 02:58 PM

$200 is to get you in the door. It will be MUCH more expensive unless all the rest come loose without any problems.

If the mount rotted off, work that needs to be done in order to get the rest of the bolt out of the captured nut in the body of the truck. That is where they need to pull some of the interior out and drill through the floorboard of the truck over the captured nut to get at it. Then a patch would be welded in to close up the hole (if they were to do things properly) and reinstall the interior.

If it were me, I would try to flex the body some without pulling the other mounting bolts to fit the new mount in place. Or you could end up putting a lot more money into the vehicle than it is worth.

abig84 08-09-2011 08:03 PM

if it were me, if nothing is making noise and all the other ones are intact leave it the heck alone. especially if the top part of the mount is still in between the frame and the body ive done body mounts before in two trucks, on one every single bolt broke. the second, three spun around in the floor which involved cutting open the floor to get at the nut in the floor.

i dont know how the heck they can get that thing out of there. especially if the bolt is broke high up in the floor. that thing aint coming out

Senshi09 08-09-2011 08:57 PM

Just use a floor jack and torq the body a LITTLE BIT like swartikk said. the mounts are only around 30-35 for a set. A lot cheaper to diy then taking it to a shop. less of a headache and worry as well since you will be doing the work, youll know that its done right the first time. Some shops will intentionally mess things up so you don't notice, then when it breaks you'll go back because you think they did a excellent job the first time. Thats how they get thier customers.

step66 08-10-2011 04:13 PM

You did not specify where this Blazer/Jimmy lives,but if a mount is falling out in your driveway:I would thoroughly inspect the unit for all other common corrosion issues in all the known areas,as you may be actually driving a VERY unsafe vehicle! Aside from body corrosion problems,many frame/body mount rust situations may actually render the vehicle as JUNK! Be sure to look at the rear frame areas! In some situations I have seen from northern cars,the entire frame was cheese from the front of the rear spring shackle aft to the rear bumper mounts! Also heard a story about a "breakaway rear end" due to this same problem! Look this unit over carefully,and when you decide to part it out let me know!

lionel2 08-12-2011 05:48 AM

Hello again, I am from Pittsburgh, PA. The blazer is usually in the garage during the winter months. I used to park in the garage all the time, but in the past 4 weeks I have been parking it on the driveway. With all the rain and dampness we have been having. The blazer was rustproofed in 2005 when I bought it used. Its a 2000 blazer. Not sure if it was rust proofed when bought new. The frame looks good just minor rust here and there, nothing to get worried about. Just those dang body mounts look rusted through. There are 10 of them, correct??? What if my body shop has to replace all 10, how much would that run me?? I was quoted at $200 for just the one. Since he is going to loosen the others, and they might break off as well, roughly how much is it per mount that breaks and needs replaced?? The kit I think he order has 10 mounts, polyurathane, or something like that. I do not want him cutting through the floor board. What if he says he has to, should I say forget the whole thing and take my chances with a missing body mount?? I know I have no idea how to fix it, my body shop man said that he was even unsure. Let me know what you think. Thanks, I am dropping the blazer off at 8:00AM today, lets see how it goes, I will keep you guys updated.

swartlkk 08-12-2011 07:35 AM

If the cage nuts spin, you have to cut through the floorboard. There isn't really any other way around it if you want to get it apart. You'll likely be paying $200 for each mount that messes up. That can get expensive fast.

lionel2 08-12-2011 09:52 AM

If the cage nut does not spin, then what?? It can be drilled out or?? Its now 11:00AM, still waiting on Blazer and a call from Body shop. I would guess he would call if the cost goes over $200. Nothing yet. So I will wait.

swartlkk 08-12-2011 09:53 AM

If the nut doesn't spin & the bolt doesn't break, then it comes apart cleanly and it won't cost you any more. A broken bolt is the same as a spun cage nut. Gotta take it out the top.

step66 08-12-2011 05:05 PM

IMO- a too rusted Blazer to fix! Not saying it cant be done,but get real: You cant weld rust!-Time to find a different unit!