Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   brake caliper bolt size. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/brake-caliper-bolt-size-79481/)

cleburne red 05-25-2013 12:23 PM

brake caliper bolt size.

Ok, quick dumb question here..

I'm about to replace my front pads and rotors, something I've done on numerous vehicles before. But instead of a bolt, I've got these weird internal allen head things. Which I don't have a tool for.

So, before I go out and but the allen socket I need, can anyone tell me what size they are? I searched, and the only mention of size I could find was for a '92 1st gen. I'm fairly certain that mine would be the same, but can anyone confirm this? That 1st gen took a 3/8". Does my '95 take the same? Figured it would be some weird metric size.

I've got a service manual on pdf, but all it said was to remove the caliper to change brake pads, no mention of size.

EDIT: nevermind, guys. it's a 3/8", also.

step66 05-26-2013 01:38 AM

Standard allen head that GM has been using since the 70's-not a torx! A friend insisted his was,used a torx,got them out,but messed up the heads.Those bolts aren't expensive,but why pay the extra $16 and just use the right tool to begin with is my logic.The same one works on my 91 Suburban...

cleburne red 05-26-2013 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by step66 (Post 585876)
Standard allen head that GM has been using since the 70's-not a torx! A friend insisted his was,used a torx,got them out,but messed up the heads.Those bolts aren't expensive,but why pay the extra $16 and just use the right tool to begin with is my logic.The same one works on my 91 Suburban...

Must be in the later '70s, then, cause my '73 uses a regular old bolt! My cobalt uses a bolt, as well.

But, yeah, definitely not a torx! I thought about using one of my torx wrenches on it for about a second, and then decided to get the right tool. Now I know what all those "disc break tools" on the rack at the auto parts store are for!

scottl1346 05-26-2013 02:55 PM

my 96 used an allen they where all stripped out so i had to weld nuts to them to get them off and the replacements where also allens

cleburne red 05-26-2013 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by scottl1346 (Post 585944)
my 96 used an allen they where all stripped out so i had to weld nuts to them to get them off and the replacements where also allens

I could definitely see them stripping out. Especially with some shade tree guy not having the proper tool, and trying to get them out. They really aren't any harder to get out than a regular bolt, as long as the proper tool is used. I just wasn't expecting it when I got the wheel off.

Captain Hook 05-26-2013 08:50 PM

Why not just get remanufactured calipers? They come with the bolts and all of the hardware for $13.00 Buy Fenco Unloaded Caliper - Remanufactured SLC134 at Advance Auto Parts

abig84 05-27-2013 07:47 AM

uses a 3/8s allen head. i have had them so rusted in there before where the allen will start to strip out. if that happens try to stop before you strip it then grab a small pipe wrench to grab the outside of the pin and use the allen and the pipe wrench at the same time