2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bumper Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 02:37 AM
Mods is on a distinguished road
Default Bumper Removal

How would i remove the Rear and Front bumpers on a '99 (Trail)Blazer? Need to rust treat the frame ends and do some weldwork on the rear bumper. Torque specs would also be appreciated.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:15 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

There are 4 bolts on the bottom and 4 on the top. You have to remove the rubber/plastic cover from the top of the bumper to get to the top ones.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
There are 4 bolts on the bottom and 4 on the top. You have to remove the rubber/plastic cover from the top of the bumper to get to the top ones.
yep, found a diagram a few hours ago on LMC before i saw your post, for me its much easier to get at the bolts for the frame mount since i cant get the bumper end caps off, they seem to be riveted.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:35 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mods
yep, found a diagram a few hours ago on LMC before i saw your post, for me its much easier to get at the bolts for the frame mount since i cant get the bumper end caps off, they seem to be riveted.
Bumper comes off with endcaps in place on my 2001

Old 02-12-2020, 07:12 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

My 99 blazer lt 4 door comes off without removing the end caps... if you want to remove them tho, there is about 4-5 10mm bolts holding it on.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Bumper comes off with endcaps in place on my 2001
on mine the only way to get at all the little stems holding the upper trim in place is to pull the bumper off, instead i used a breaker bar and about 2 days worth of time and neck pain to pull the bolts off from the bumper mounts from the frame,and then pulled it off as one piece and broke it down from there. oiled up the frame to keep the rust at bay, Rear bumper is rusted through and through.

in other news, hey guys LMC has new bumpers!

Last edited by Mods; 02-13-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:29 AM

I bought and installed the LMC bumper. Thought it was great quality. Came in a nice powdercoated black (not in "temporary paint"). Body shop prepped and shot the body color over the powdercoat when doing other work on the vehicle. Some photos of it here.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-...-2001-a-96368/

Old 02-13-2020, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
I bought and installed the LMC bumper. Thought it was great quality. Came in a nice powdercoated black (not in "temporary paint"). Body shop prepped and shot the body color over the powdercoat when doing other work on the vehicle. Some photos of it here.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-...-2001-a-96368/
Thats the exact thread where i found out about LMC existing period from a long while back, i forgot they carried bumpers until i realized just how hosed my OE one was. Thanks les.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:37 AM

forgot pics. oiling the frame today to keep the rust off for a little bit while i work out a proper prevention method.

Old 02-13-2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mods

forgot pics. oiling the frame today to keep the rust off for a little bit while i work out a proper prevention method.
I like the Krown Rustproofing Spray. They give me a 16 oz aerosol can when I bring each vehicle for my yearly rustproofing and I use it for touch ups in bad areas. I have had them do both of my 4WD vehicles the last two years. I think you can buy the 16oz spray cans and larger quantities from them. The Canadians seem to really know how to rustproof. It's oil based so need reapplied periodically. I'm sure it's specially formulated to prevent rust as much as possible (just like the RIG gun grease I used on my front ABS sensors 5 years ago). The problem with the sound deadener applications like Ziebart is that the nasty road salt can get underneath or around it and just sit there and rot things out.
https://www.krown.com/en/
https://shop.krown.com/collections/k...rust-inhibitor

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-13-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Bumper Removal