2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

a/c compressor not working?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Beginning Member
supramacist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: a/c compressor not working?

Dude. You need to do an ac delete, you never use it. You said so yourself. It's going to cost a few fingers to replace but you should be able to get one at a salvage yard.

Do the delete and don't look back. Just think of it as weight reduction. You'll lose 40lbs. under the hood and it'll take 2 hours of your time tops. And it's one less belt you have dragging on the crank.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Beginning Member
supramacist is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys have to over look me at times I have a sport car mentallity not 4x4.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:18 PM
trukid21 is an unknown quantity at this point

i did the jumper test on my low pressure switch(clutch pressure cycle switch)connector off the accumulator and it engages my clutch,so i replace that switch itself (not the connector) thinking that might be badbut it still would not come on.freon charge is still good, but the clutch would still not engage once i turn the a/c on, (i let run for another 5-10 minutes)what is my next step? thanks again.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:00 AM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point

in that case it sounds like for some reason the switch is not being triggered. i dont know exactly what all you have checked but my compressor had the same problem where it wouldnt engage this was due to a blocked or clogged oriface tube. this is often over looked in the a/c system. this is a small tube with a mesh filter in it. it is located inside the lower tube of the evaporator located in the firwall housing directly behind the pcm. lastcoupe is right a fused jumper is better but the whole system is fused and should be ok.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:33 AM
trukid21 is an unknown quantity at this point

[sm=smiley20.gif]My A/C works again!!!! thank god and the guy from schucks autostore forhelping meout too, guess his an A/C tech.but i told him also what is going on and he said to try bleeding off the accumulator,it may be full of air and if it does i could keep charging it and it won't do a damn thing. I bled ituntil i hear no more air coming out.i turnedonthe truck and the a/cthen start charging it and tada!! my clutch engages and it startblowing cold airinside, man that save me a ton of money.Hopefully this might also help someone if they have problem with their a/c.thank you for allyourinputs, i would havenever known where to start.[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Cool! Glad you got it fixed and thank you for the follow up!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 PM
joey is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this may be my problem. If it gets below 40 degrees outside my compressor refuses to come on an the interior a/c light just flashes. When its warmer it works fine. I guess I shouldnt complain though- who needs A/C when its 40 out.. But I know its better for the system if it cycles throughout the year to keep all the seals lubed. Thanks for the follow-up!

Old 06-14-2007, 01:51 AM
Chadoo951 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Zygoat

i dont know what the voltage should be on that switch but that ant it. also i think that you have to have the compressor running when you recharge the ssytem. this can be accomplished by disconnecting the electrical connection on the accumulator/dryer and bridging the gap with a jumper or paper clip. this makes the compressor run non-stop no matter what. this could also be a useful check to see if the sensor in the accumulator is the reason the compressor will not turn on.
I dont understnad how I would do this!

I am new to engines. I need information in great detail.. (pictures maybe)

I dont know what is wrong with my air conditioning system. When I have the controls set to max ac on level four on the coolest the clutch should spin right? Mine doesent and it wont. What does this mean? Is it just not working because it is low on the freon and I need to recharge it or is there something seriously wrong?

I heard about the "jumping" with the paper clips so that the compresser will kick on. But I dont know where or what I would be jumping. And after I "jump" what I am suppose to will this make the clutch spin?

And I also heard about bleeding the accumulatior. Where is this located? How would I do this?

PLEASE explain how to fix my AC withgreat detail. (like your teaching someone who just bought a car)

I dont want to spend so much money to find out whats wrong with my ac if you guys could help me. sooo please!

Thank you in advance.

I have a 99 blazer 4x4 4.3 liter V6 if it helps any.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:54 AM
Chadoo951 is an unknown quantity at this point

its getting hot now guys!! PLEASE HELP!

Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Chadoo951

its getting hot now guys!! PLEASE HELP!
Calm down man! 3 freakin' minutes. Makes me really want to jump up and help... Such impatience.

Oh and do not post the SAME questions multiple places. One thread is all that is necessary.

*EDIT* - For those of you wishing to respond to Chadoo951, please do so in his original thread on the subject here:
A/C clutch not spinning, not cool, Please help!

Quick Reply: a/c compressor not working?