2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

a/c compressor not working?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: a/c compressor not working?

I don't understand POST # 15, bleeding the air out of the accumulator. If there's air in the system, then there's a leak...right? cause where did this "air" come from? The AC system shouldn't have air in it...only freon and some refrigerant oil.. When he said he bled the air, did he really release all the freon?? and then simply recharged the system with new freon? Does this then mean that the system was OVER pressurized to begin with?

Old 06-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

junkmonkey, there is so much wrong in this thread that it isn't funny. Bleeding anything from an A/C system is just irresponsible and probably detrimental to the health of the system. I cannot stress some points enough. A/C systems are not take apart and slap back together systems. They require tools like refridgerant recovery systems, vacuum pumps, and really, scales to meter the proper amount of refridgerant and oil back into the system whenever a component has been replaced.

If all you're trying to do is recharge a weak system, then that can be done relatively easily with over the counter kits. But if you know you have a leak, you really should take it to a professional. This isn't directed towards anyone specifically. I have the knowledge and most of the tools, but I wouldn't consider doing it myself, but then again, I have a trusted A/C guy that has been working on my families vehicles (both personal and farm equipment) for the past 15 years.

I have found it just easier in the long run to get things fixed appropriately than to let them go. With A/C systems, a problem in one area, left unrepaired, can lead to systemic problems that would cost you much more later down the road. Just my $0.02...

Old 06-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Kyle, I hear ya man. The whole thread was sounding pretty fishy. I concur about the AC system, not being a slap and patch system. Sometimes ya gotta bite the bullet and take it to the shop. Cheaper and safer in the long run.

Do you know off the top of your head which relay (or relays) are involved with the AC system. I have 3 relays on the passenger side firewall which Haynes manual says are AC, but are they all??? My comp clutch won't engage and I'm thinking electric problem at this point. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Old 06-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When I get home after work tonight I'll reply to your other thread on that subject. I don't have the resources at work with me to look up that information.