Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   can needing an oil change throw a check engine light? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/can-needing-oil-change-throw-check-engine-light-8266/)

jagblazer01 01-23-2007 03:26 PM

can needing an oil change throw a check engine light?

is this possible...i know i need a oil change but i went to get in my truck yesturday after work and i had a Service Engine Soon light on.....it worked fine that morning so i have no clue

Chevy Lover 01-23-2007 04:08 PM

RE: can needing an oil change throw a check engine light?

No, you should have a separate light for "change engine oil".
Better get the code read.

lastcoupe 01-23-2007 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

No, you should have a separate light for "change engine oil".
Better get the code read.
exactly!

jagblazer01 01-23-2007 08:18 PM

how much does a code reader cost??

DrkJrny 01-23-2007 08:34 PM

You probably already know this, but did your fuel go below 1/2 full on your way to work? I had the almost same exact circumstance. Went to work and everything was fine. On my way home my service engine light came on and it took me a bit to figure out that my gas cap was not tightened enough (3 clicks). Not long after I did this, the light went off.

jagblazer01 01-23-2007 08:39 PM

its possible....i filled up my tank on sunday night and it came on monday afternoon....i didnt even think to try that lol

jagblazer01 01-24-2007 01:24 AM

well that idea didnt work....i got a buddy who's a mechanic at a chevy dealership thats going to look at it for me..

WOO FREE SERVICE lol

DetroitMuscle 01-24-2007 09:25 AM

Jag, autozone does free diagnostic reading............................ no questions asked.

blazinloud 01-24-2007 09:32 AM

damn Canada and there no autozone!!!! I gotta pay big bucks to get mine read [:'(]

is there really an oil light on all these trucks? I've yet to see mine, but my boss' 01 chev 2500hd has it.........fun truck to drive, haha! I almost put it into the ditch yesterday doin a fishtail, oops.

4X44life 01-24-2007 01:52 PM

well i had trhe same check engineproblem the other day and i asked around my self and heard abought the gas cap thing to so i checked and no change!! so i went and checked my oil and was down a litre so i put a litre in went into truck and check engine light went out!!! i also put power stering fluid in as it was a little low(noconcern) just like it to the full mark,and also checked my rad fluid it ws low so toped up with some pemix all at the same time!!! dont know which one exactly did it ! but like i said the light went out i asked at gm and they said it was probably the oil or rad fluid!!! but you check engine light can also come onby going through a big puddle and your electrical system gets wet and untill it dries out the light will stay on!!! so before you go and spend the money to get codes read because i am in p.e.i canada and i know where you are coming from check those things out first!!!